Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best winches for the money

Old 06-18-2013, 07:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trauma
I greatly regret my purchase of a smittybilt XRC-8 if that helps your decision...
Ok, why do you regret it. There can be a million reasons here, but why do you regret it?

Originally Posted by rays0852
Not many winches are completely water proof......
^^that is absolutely true, but my xrc-10's have proven to be reliable even when submerged for long periods of time every year

There's a link in my sig line that shows what kind of water the winch sees every year.

Sent from my DROID4
Old 06-18-2013, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

the runva the smittybilt xr8 or the quadratec... decisions decisions... those are the 3 im debating right now. I have an all black 2dr I think the runva and the smittybilt would look the best on it so im leaning towards one of those two most likely the smittybilt. I have a question about running the cables to the battery. I see some are run through the grill and others are not. Is that due to certain winches or just the way some people want it done? I personally dont like the way it looks with cables going into the grill
Old 06-18-2013, 07:39 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by sm0ke
I have a question about running the cables to the battery. I see some are run through the grill and others are not. Is that due to certain winches or just the way some people want it done? I personally dont like the way it looks with cables going into the grill
I've done.......4 or 5 smitty winches now (xrc 8 through the xrc 12 x20) and all of them have had the cables routed under the grille if you can imagine sneaking down the back left corner along the framerail and then immediately up along the wiring harness there, tucked by the power steering pump and then along the fender to the battery. I agree that it is a little poorly thought out when the cables come through the grill.

Low profile is the way to go.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

if you are going to do a engo, you might as well get the harbor freight "badlands" they are the same thing. only cheaper in price.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by egl1962
if you are going to do a engo, you might as well get the harbor freight "badlands" they are the same thing. only cheaper in price.
Sorry man but this is a very ignorant comment...

In this world full of keyboard warriors, maybe you can justify your post with something like PROOF or EVIDENCE?!

Last edited by goaterguy; 06-19-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by goaterguy
Sorry man but this is a very ignorant comment...

In this world full of keyboard warriors, maybe you can justify your post with something like PROOF or EVIDENCE?!
sorry if i pissed in your soup. but by your reply i can only assume that you think my intent is to put engo winches down. thats not the case at all, i know a bunch of guys that run them and they run great. same with the hf winches. but at the same time you can't just assume that the hf winch is junk just because it is sold at hf. that might have been true with their older lines but they stepped up their game with the badlands series. and we have done side by side comparisons with these two winches and if they never had stickers on them you could not tell which one is which. inside and out. they are even boxed the same just with different pictures on the boxes. they both work great. the hf winch can be had for even less money than the engo is all i am saying. there is only a couple of factorys in china that make all them chinese winches anyway. i sure some are better at it than others. if you like engo, stick with them. i'm just not into stickers or what people think.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by egl1962
sorry if i pissed in your soup. but by your reply i can only assume that you think my intent is to put engo winches down. thats not the case at all, i know a bunch of guys that run them and they run great. same with the hf winches. but at the same time you can't just assume that the hf winch is junk just because it is sold at hf. that might have been true with their older lines but they stepped up their game with the badlands series. and we have done side by side comparisons with these two winches and if they never had stickers on them you could not tell which one is which. inside and out. they are even boxed the same just with different pictures on the boxes. they both work great. the hf winch can be had for even less money than the engo is all i am saying. there is only a couple of factorys in china that make all them chinese winches anyway. i sure some are better at it than others. if you like engo, stick with them. i'm just not into stickers or what people think.
Don't worry, I don't eat soup.

What I mean by evidence is this:
https:// cdn.shptrn.com/media/mfg/5150/media_document/4538/Lifetimearticle.pdf?1342639499

You can see that they are not the same. If you dig deeper and look at the specs, you can find other differences like no load speeds. Just because they may be made in the same plant doesn't mean they are similar. Fiat's Toluca plant in Mexico builds the Fiat 500 and the Dodge Journey, and they are nothing alike.

I have nothing against HF, it is a fact that my wife would prefer for me to go to a strip club before going to HF, I have been warned not to bring another free flash light as we have over a dozen in our laundry room.

And BTW, I don't think anyone has ever bought an Engo winch because of the brand name...

Last edited by goaterguy; 06-19-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Best winches for the money