Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best winch for the money

Old 02-18-2011, 08:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best winch for the money

So whats the best winch for the money, I know Warn is supposedly the best brand of winches, but im not really looking to spend that much money on a winch
Old 02-18-2011, 09:01 PM
JK Jedi

Depends on the money
Old 02-18-2011, 09:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

You're going to get a lot of different opinions on this one. Here's mine . I got the Smittybilt XRC10 Comp. I didn't want to spend a mint and I wanted a synthetic line. So... I got it WITH a lifetime warranty for $60 to ease any quality concerns I was dealing with...
Old 02-18-2011, 09:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Superwinch EPi9. Much cheaper than a Warn but still very strong and dependable.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

What about Milemarker? I've seen it at costco from time to time.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Actually just checked Costco, they have Superwinch now.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1
Old 02-18-2011, 09:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you dont ever want to worry about it breaking when you need it...Go Warn.

Extended warranties are great to have on the less reliable winches bc they tend to break but that won't do shit when you're stranded/stuck.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2011, 10:17 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by ricknasty22
So whats the best winch for the money, I know Warn is supposedly the best brand of winches, but im not really looking to spend that much money on a winch
Refine your question. You already know that Warn is the best winch for the money, so my guess is that you are asking "what is the best winch for my budget?" And to answer that, how about telling us what your budget is...
Old 02-18-2011, 11:07 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

The way I figure it, if you don't want to go Warn (or some other high quality winch brand), then it's a crap shoot as to what offers good quality for the money. I'm not saying that they are bad--because many folks are using them quite successfully. Rather, I'm saying that you probably won't be able to discern a real difference from responses to your question. Assuming this winch is for Jeep fun and not Jeep work (IOW, you aren't on some wilderness rescue squad or such), then if the winch ultimately does let you down there will be other options to extricate yourself from the mess you've gotten yourself into (trail buddy, phone for help, etc). The reason I'm postulating all of that is because I don't think it matters which of the less expensive winches you go with as far as quality/reliability. Chose the one with the features you like. I helped Snowbilt install one of the new Recon winches on his Jeep a couple weeks back and I was impressed with the features: Synthetic line, wireless remote control, free Neoprene cover if you send them a picture of your installed winch. They are inexpensive, too. I suggest that you check them out.

amazon.com/Recon-500-Performance-Recovery-Winch/dp/B0031E61BO

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 02-18-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:16 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search in google for "winches in hell". The EPi9 performed equally as good as the much more expensive warn on multiple long pulls up hell's gate in Moab. Only 3 winches survived out of 6 or 7 tested.

Quick Reply: Best winch for the money