Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best way to strip bumper at home for bedlining?

Old 05-07-2014, 04:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have it blasted, will yield the best finish for repainting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-2014, 06:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've called around for some more quotes and while non will give me an actual price... just state its rated on the time it takes and general consensus was about $160/hour with about a $60 min. I did actually find a place called Consolidated Compressor here in Calgary that has a yard you can DIY sandblast, its $120 bucks/per hour, $30 min and charged in 5 minute intervals. Seems like the best deal, I've never sand blasted but how hard can it be? famous last words usually... at least I know I wont get ripped off and be charged an hours labour for a 20 minute job. Also could do my rockers at the same time and I have them back the same day. Most shops said it would take a couple days.

The product I am going with is this stuff ... Monstaliner do-it-yourself roll-on truck bed liner website looks a bit cartoony but the reviews from 3rd parties sounds fantastic. Its a roll on bedliner, should I still be putting on a primer after it is sandblasted? I heard it mentioned a couple times in this thread.

Originally Posted by eclipse3319
Aircraft stripper!
I didn't get one on my last flight... but probably because I was in coach.

Originally Posted by PG-JKU
Aarggg. I have the ARB stubby and I hope it doesn't end up looking like that! I'm in Northern BC.
Yeah... Good luck is all I have to say, it looked almost as bad as the pictures after the first winter, started bubbling and everything. Now it just looks like junk... awesome bumper, absolutely love it, but the paint job lacks... a lot. I rather wish I knew how bad it would get at the start and would of just bedlined it myself the first time. Now I have to take off the winch, lights, find the oem bumper and at least a few bolts to it and drive around like that for a weekend at least.
Old 05-07-2014, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well played, however this stuff is awesome

Rust-Oleum Automotive 255448 32-Ounce AircrAft Remover Quart by Rust-Oleum http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Z8XUAQ/..._V.VAtb0663GVH

Paint it on and let it sit, the scrape it off, it'll save you time when you get to sandblasting as this will help remove the bulk of it.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Vladimer
Yeah... Good luck is all I have to say, it looked almost as bad as the pictures after the first winter, started bubbling and everything. Now it just looks like junk... awesome bumper, absolutely love it, but the paint job lacks... a lot. I rather wish I knew how bad it would get at the start and would of just bedlined it myself the first time. Now I have to take off the winch, lights, find the oem bumper and at least a few bolts to it and drive around like that for a weekend at least.
So far so good. Had it on through last winter and drove it daily.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think i'd be talking with ARB personally and sending some pics of that!! That's terrible, dude! Maybe you could at least get some free swag out of it
Old 05-08-2014, 05:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ouroborus2012
I think i'd be talking with ARB personally and sending some pics of that!! That's terrible, dude! Maybe you could at least get some free swag out of it
Indeed. Let them know. That looks terrible.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

Default Best rust remover

Use BlackStar at Mrochem.com
Old 05-08-2014, 09:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eclipse3319
Well played, however this stuff is awesome

Rust-Oleum Automotive 255448 32-Ounce AircrAft Remover Quart by Rust-Oleum http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Z8XUAQ/..._V.VAtb0663GVH

Paint it on and let it sit, the scrape it off, it'll save you time when you get to sandblasting as this will help remove the bulk of it.
I thought it would be something more expensive. That's not a bad deal at all. At the rate the sandblasting costs, this will pay for itself pretty quick. Thanks!

The thought of taking it up with ARB crossed my mind, they have already sent me 4 sets of replacement lights for the bumper since they kept on taking water so don't really see what they could do to fix the paint from this distance. Not much more they can do and a free hat wont do me much good lol.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:32 PM
JK Freak

Had a similar issue with my Warn bumpers. Having a local shop do my front and rear and my stock ruby rails for under $300. Sounds like you should call a different blaster place.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My barely 3-month-old OR-FAB bumpers are showing rust. They said they will warranty the powder coat, but shipping them cross country would be cost prohibitive and time consuming. Local powder coater has quoted me $500 for the pair to chemically strip and coat them.

Quick Reply: Best way to strip bumper at home for bedlining?