Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best way for complete brake fluid flush and moving to DOT4?

Old 04-17-2012, 11:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best way for complete brake fluid flush and moving to DOT4?

I'm getting a a Teraflex Big brake kit and want to swap out all of my reeeeeeeeally old brake fluid in favor of Super Blue DOT 4. I'm wondering what the best way to go about this is. I heard of people using alcohol to flush it totally clean when swapping fluids. What do people who have done this recommend doing to flush the whole system?

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2012, 11:16 AM
JK Freak

The only problem is you can't mix Dot 3 and Dot 4 so I need to make sure it's ALL really out I think. I do have a friend and we're doing our JKs together so it should be a lot easier.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure the fluid is recommended with the kit. It really don't make sense to run a fluid that the kit isn't intended for. Maybe contact TeraFlex and ask them. No sense if they did all this testing to put something it not intended for kit.
I see this happen all the time in the mechanic field, trying to reinvent the wheel.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:27 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by snopro269
Make sure the fluid is recommended with the kit. It really don't make sense to run a fluid that the kit isn't intended for. Maybe contact TeraFlex and ask them. No sense if they did all this testing to put something it not intended for kit.
I see this happen all the time in the mechanic field, trying to reinvent the wheel.
Agreed, I'm waiting for a response from Teraflex. Do you not know the benefits of Dot 4?
  • DOT4 fluid does not absorb water as readily as DOT3 fluid.
  • DOT4 fluid has a higher boiling point than DOT3 fluid, making it more suitable for high performance applications where the brake systems are expected to get hot.

That's better for a big brake kit anyway.

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker
why cant you mix them? it wont hurt anything... plus you really wont be mixing much at all. as the fluid drains the newer stuff will go ontop and eventually when all the black shiz is out just bleed em a lil more to make sure you dont have any DOT 3 left. it really wont hurt to mix em, it even says so right on the reservoir too.

and just incase ur still unsure, right from the manual

Mopart DOT 3 Brake Fluid, SAE J1703 should be used. If DOT 3, SAE J1703
brake fluid is not available, then DOT 4 is acceptable. Use only recommended
brake fluids.
Good call guess I had it mixed with Dot 5, so you're right about just flushing it through. Thanks.

Last edited by aermotor; 04-17-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker

why cant you mix them? it wont hurt anything... plus you really wont be mixing much at all. as the fluid drains the newer stuff will go ontop and eventually when all the black shiz is out just bleed em a lil more to make sure you dont have any DOT 3 left. it really wont hurt to mix em, it even says so right on the reservoir too.

and just incase ur still unsure, right from the manual

Mopart DOT 3 Brake Fluid, SAE J1703 should be used. If DOT 3, SAE J1703
brake fluid is not available, then DOT 4 is acceptable. Use only recommended
brake fluids.
I know you can goto or upgrade to a better rating but cannot go down it will gel up
Old 04-17-2012, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snopro269

I know you can goto or upgrade to a better rating but cannot go down it will gel up
What he said. There is nothing wrong with going dot 4 if dot 3 is in the system not for felling hut the fluid isn't rated at same capacity. Its not like coolant and even that was old school when dexron first came out.
You can always go up but never down.

The gelling is not an issue hence you can put 4 in a 3 system which would be the same as putting 3 in a 4 system. Problem is 3 doesn't have same water absorption and hydraulic pressure will be affected
Old 04-17-2012, 12:04 PM
JK Super Freak

I would contact TeraFlex via email and see what they suggest it might be a warranty issue later on you never kniw
Old 04-17-2012, 12:09 PM
JK Freak

Joe form Teraflex said it's fine.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most dot4 fluids are actually dot3/4 meaning they are indeed compatible with dot3 fluids.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:31 PM
JK Freak

Does anyone know how many liters of fluid it takes to flush the entire system, including the big brake calipers?

Quick Reply: Best way for complete brake fluid flush and moving to DOT4?