Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best stabilizer?!

Old 04-18-2014, 03:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree.
I'm pretty much new up front.
Synergy flip/ball joints, TB.. Tires are E Rated which do wander some. Lifted 3.5, caster at 4
I find the ATS to help keep the wander down. Especially at freeway speeds.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:37 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mello03
I have a Fox ATS and it was the biggest waste of money I have spent on my Jeep. Yeah, I said it. Overpriced and overhyped. Sure it is adjustable and looks great, but in have a suspicion that if dialed in at a higher number it will stress the steering box even more than it already is, especially with larger tires. I'm not doubting that some guys love it and it's made a difference for them, but for me it's hardly noticeable. I wonder if some of the guys running this has other issues that were helped by switching to this SS? It can definitely smooth things out and tighten up your steering "feeling" if dialed up. I don't know, but I had no issues before with ball joints, track bars, etc before switching and I felt 0% difference going from the stock SS to the Fox ATS. I guess that's where me theory comes from. YMMV.
I suspect you didn't see much of a difference due to lift size.. I do a lot of hwy miles and my wife sometimes needs to drive. The Fox ATS when dialed in can make a huge difference. I still need to do a flip kit but the ATS has made a huge difference over stock. Not knocking your comment or opinion.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:40 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by BrowniesJK

I suspect you didn't see much of a difference due to lift size.. I do a lot of hwy miles and my wife sometimes needs to drive. The Fox ATS when dialed in can make a huge difference. I still need to do a flip kit but the ATS has made a huge difference over stock. Not knocking your comment or opinion.
I just read further down and saw your second post. Void my top post as you already answered
Old 04-18-2014, 03:45 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

This is what did and didn't work for me. And please bear in mind that my Jeep, at 137K miles, drives straight as an arrow and has great steering feel (click on the signature link to all of my mods). There is no DW and there is no bump steer. I can and have driven without the steering stabilizer when mine bent, and could not really tell the difference. I did relocate the SS with the JeepSWAG kit very early on.

The OEM SS, after relocation, did not work well. I found it bent after some hard crawling at Disney, OK ...
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bent Jeep Steering Stabilizer, Jul 09, 0234.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	546636

I replaced it with the Teraflex, which is much heavier duty. For me, it's easily worth the $50 price ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Teraflex SS, N5_0600, Apr 14.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	546637

I've had to replace the Teraflex because it started seeping oil. Still worked fine, but just would dribble a little oil under the vehicle. Have never bent one, nor had one lose pressure.
Old 04-18-2014, 03:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just a question, what bumpstops do you have in the front ?

I red that it requires at least 2'' bumpstops in the front with a stabilizer relocation bracket.

Is it possible your stabilizer shock hit the frame ?
Old 04-18-2014, 05:13 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by WARLOCK
Just a question, what bumpstops do you have in the front ?

I red that it requires at least 2'' bumpstops in the front with a stabilizer relocation bracket.

Is it possible your stabilizer shock hit the frame ?
It certainly may be possible. Back then I had the RC budget boost with RC shocks, I'm pretty sure. And Disney does demand some pretty good articulation. Now I have a TF 2.5" coil lift, which came with bump stop extensions.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:01 AM
JK Super Freak

IMHO if a steering stabilizer has cured a problem, then you still have that problem. The SS only masked it, controlled it, but didn't cure it. If everything is proper upfront you should be able to drive around without a stabilizer no matter what tires you run or road conditions you run on.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:29 AM
JK Junkie

So what do you suggest ... Fix the road
Lol JK
Old 04-18-2014, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Teraflex since it's cheap enough to replace if it fails...

Teraflex Steering Stabilizer Kit 1513001 | eBay
Old 04-18-2014, 08:32 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by JK_Zach
Teraflex since it's cheap enough to replace if it fails...

Teraflex Steering Stabilizer Kit 1513001 | eBay
Suggest here instead ...

Tera Flex JK HD Steering Stabilizer (1513001)

Why?
  • Forum sponsor
  • Save a few pennies
  • Free shipping (if order over $100)
  • Great customer service
  • NOT eBay (where scam artists thrive importing fake parts to sell to fools)

Quick Reply: Best stabilizer?!