Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best shocks in the world

Old 05-20-2017, 09:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by jordy
Perhaps a different thread title in an alternate subforum would have been a better plan. Mediocre shocks for a stock JK with 100K miles in the stock forum, for example?
I posted in the Modified section because I felt the folks that peruse that topic would be more knowledgeable about how the ride changes with different shocks. I'm not looking for stock shocks. I'm looking for real world advice and experiences from those that know what effect great shocks would have in driving a jku. Sorry if I offended. I'll crawl back to the stock section with my XRC bumper between my legs.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I posted in the Modified section because I felt the folks that peruse that topic would be more knowledgeable about how the ride changes with different shocks. I'm not looking for stock shocks. I'm looking for real world advice and experiences from those that know what effect great shocks would have in driving a jku. Sorry if I offended. I'll crawl back to the stock section with my XRC bumper between my legs.
Most of us who have been in this section for awhile just ignore anything he has to say, because it's typically a bunch of obnoxious over the top self proclaiming elitest nonsense. All forums tend to have one, now you know who that is for this forum.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:44 PM
JK Junkie
FJOTM Winner

Received 206 Likes on 186 Posts

For a stock Jeep, daily driving, and some sand/gravel... I think it's going to be hard to beat the OEM Rubicon shocks. After all, that's what they were designed for.

A quick test for shocks is too push down on each corner hard, then let go and watch the rebound. Waddling like jello is a bad sign, and one can compare with a new Jeep at a dealer.

I have a 2012 JKU sport I bought new and now have 88,000 miles on it. It's nearly 100% stock. It is my daily driver and my off roading is limited to sandy gravel pits. Here's my question. If I put the best shocks in the world on my jeep, what changes would exist in my driving experience? As I get close to the 100,000 mile mark, I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it to replace my stock shocks. I want to make sure I will feel a difference that pleases me.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I was merely pointing out the discrepancy between the title of your thread and your follow up comment. Was having a little fun, hence the ROTF emoji. Sorry you missed the humor. As for the other clown's comments... that's hilarious.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm still hoping to get into some words a description of how a stock Jeep rides on bad shocks vs good shocks. For those of you that changed out the crappy stock shocks for better ones, how did the ride change. Any examples?
I replaced JKU Rubi shocks at 70K with take off shocks with 5K miles. At 70k the original were not shot but were weak. The newish ones were noticeable stiffer. I have another set ready to go on at 150K miles, this summer. I have the lifetime warranty so I try not to use anything that could effect it. Thats why I use OEM shocks.

If anyone could give a killer review of shocks for a stock Rubi I would love to hear it.

Last edited by LVJimmy; 06-04-2017 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

So I am the one who started this post. I took a deal I couldn't refuse and installed Rubi take offs from a 6month old 2000 mile jkur. I can say without a doubt that there is a substantial improvement compared to my 88,000 mile stock Sport shocks. What I can say with 100% certainty is that the Jeep is much smoother, less harsh & abrupt when hitting irregular surfaces in the road such as man hole covers, pot holes, expansion joints, etc. I am very glad I did the swap. I now have about 100 miles of driving since the swap. My wife also noticed the improvement.

Quick Reply: Best shocks in the world