Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best shocks in the world

Old 05-17-2017, 10:17 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

less shutter and bouncing around on rough roads, less sway in fast corners smoother hits over edges on the road overall a more controlled ride. Here is the best way to tell the difference go test drive a brand new jeep. The difference you feel between a new jeep and one with 80,000 miles is mostly shocks. That is why dealers love you take a test drive because new rigs feel so good and a big part of that is shocks. Like I stated earlier shocks degrade slowly so you get used to how they feel and it is not like they go from brand new 100% to 0% over night. it is gradual so you just don't notice how really bad they are. if they went from 100% to 50% with no in between you would be like what the hell happened to my ride. I come from a motorcycle background and motorcycle shocks wear out really fast and it is always amazing getting new shocks or having your Ohlins rebuilt.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:38 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Thanks. Reducing the jarring hits on the road like expansion joints would be nice. I hit a few every day in my commute to work. Sometimes I cringe a bit before hitting. I always drive with my hand resting on the stick shift to prevent that from going wild.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default i had my stock rubicon shocks on for 20.000

then changed to the rancho 9000 adjustables . I remember going out on the dirt road to test them out . I was pleasantly surprised at the difference and then over the next week or two I was convinced stock shocks suck . in my opinion I tossed my stock rubicons in transferstation
scrap metal pile . that's honest truth . I'm not thrilled with the rust factor on my ranchos outer finish where they bolt on. they did become rusty that first winter . However my jeep handles bumps washboards and road ripples much better . Id recommend Rancho to you
or anyone for that matter unless they are already sold on more expensive brands I cant argue that ive only had these ranchos on ,mine . if I didn't have rust on them id say I'm 100% a rancho customer for life. This is my experience going from stock to after market
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5009.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	380.3 KB
ID:	671592  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 05-17-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 08:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah the Rancho 9000's really softened up my ride on the crap DC washboard roads. I can actually stay in my lane now
Old 05-19-2017, 02:31 PM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As previously stated, a set of good shocks (nothing crazy!) will definitely help with handling and control on and off pavement and is a worthwhile investment for sure.

If I was to toss a recommendation out there, I'd step up to a set of Fox Adventure series 2.0s, they make them for a stock ride height. We've been having great luck with them for this exact situation, lots of happy customers.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
I don't want this thread to become about which shocks are best.
Perhaps a different thread title in an alternate subforum would have been a better plan. Mediocre shocks for a stock JK with 100K miles in the stock forum, for example?
Old 05-19-2017, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Why not completely remove your shocks and drive around like that to get a feel for what it does?

From my current understanding, the best shock in the world is the one that would be perfectly matched to react with every flex and movement of your springs where you could drive on a washboard bumpy road and it would feel completely smooth with no bumps. Thus, your tires would just hug the contour of whatever, terrain you are driving on. It would also need to be matched with the best spring in the world as well.

Last edited by Rednroll; 05-19-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shocks are always a personal thing that depends on what an individual is looking for in the ride of their vehicle. I personally like the Bilstein 5100s.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:42 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy
Shocks are always a personal thing that depends on what an individual is looking for in the ride of their vehicle. I personally like the Bilstein 5100s.
There's too much truth to this. I'll love it, wife won't, etc.

Right now I'm really liking the MC springs with rancho 9000 all around. Had Tera springs with 5100s before. As well as procomp Mx series previously. The procomps are not the best, not really a surprise.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:42 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Rednroll
Why not completely remove your shocks and drive around like that to get a feel for what it does? From my current understanding, the best shock in the world is the one that would be perfectly matched to react with every flex and movement of your springs where you could drive on a washboard bumpy road and it would feel completely smooth with no bumps. Thus, your tires would just hug the contour of whatever, terrain you are driving on. It would also need to be matched with the best spring in the world as well.
This is my new favorite.

Coilovers?

Quick Reply: Best shocks in the world