Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best shocks for the money

Old 02-28-2013, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say Old Man Emu (OME).
Old 02-28-2013, 01:35 PM
JK Freak

Rancho Rs9000's

Can't wait to see the rebate deals tomorrow!!!
Old 02-28-2013, 02:29 PM
JK Freak

DEFINITELY, OME. Most of the peeps on here need only a good twin tube shock.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:39 PM
JK Newbie

Bil 5100s. the best shocks that ive had on Jeeps over the years, Ive run rancho 9000s and plain jane twin tubes, but the bilstiens matched to a decent suspension are controlled but not harsh, and do not need to be adjusted. Great ride- great in context of a short wheelbase specialty vehicle...
Old 02-28-2013, 02:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use to run Bilstein 5100's, they were an awesome all around performer. For $80 per shock, can't go wrong. Any gas charged shock will feel real nice
Old 02-28-2013, 04:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jk.bushwacker
are you really trying to compare Bilstein w/ Rancho? off road they are both great. on road? better get the bilsteins. try looking into the history, R&D and technology of Bilstein and you will understand...
I understand.

I just removed my rough-riding Bilstein 5100's and replaced them with fully-adjustable Rancho RS9000XL's. If you like the Bilstein's rough ride, you can always just set the Rancho's to setting 8 or 9 and you'll get nearly identical ride quality to the Bilsteins. But I don't like an unnecessarily rough ride; for daily driving I'm running my Rancho's on 1 front and 3 rear (with the hardtop on) but in the summer when the hardtop comes off, it'll be set to 1/1 since there'll be less weight and a lower center of gravity to control. For heavily-laden road trips and moderate-speed desert 2-tracks I run them roughly 5/5 (adjusted depending on how much weight I'm hauling) and for rockcrawling where I want maximum body motion control, I run them at 9/9 and the Jeep stays firmly planted to the rocks without any precarious bobbing and swaying on steep off-camber sections that typically comes from a shock that's set too soft.

Everyone has their opinions, but I advise you to heed the advice of someone (yours truly) who succumbed to the unanimous-at-the-time recommendation for Bilsteins - I regretted my purchase and was so dissatisfied with my Jeep's rough ride that I bought a whole new set of shocks all over again. Now I'm finally happy. Learn from my expensive mistake.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks like Rancho for me based on this discussion If your still here Rancho, let me know what I need. I have a 2012 JKU with and 3" BDS lift and 35" tires. Hard top in winter, soft in summer. Heavy front and rear bumpers and winch so lots or extra weight. What part number and where is best place to buy? Thanks I'm advance for your help on this.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Freak

I'd recommend the Bills,,, i have never liked rancho shocks, and my opinion was re-affirmed last summer when I helped a buddy put on a terra flex lift. They recommended the ranchos. My buddy purchased them,, and 3 out of the 4 leaked out a large amounts of oil in the plastic bags they came in!!! Thats right,,,, 3 out of 4 were defective directly out of the box!!!! Nice quality control Rancho!
Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by big dr
I'd recommend the Bills,,, i have never liked rancho shocks, and my opinion was re-affirmed last summer when I helped a buddy put on a terra flex lift. They recommended the ranchos. My buddy purchased them,, and 3 out of the 4 leaked out a large amounts of oil in the plastic bags they came in!!! Thats right,,,, 3 out of 4 were defective directly out of the box!!!! Nice quality control Rancho!
Have you ever taken out a brand new bilstein shock out of the box before?
Old 02-28-2013, 07:51 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by FJ Jake
Looks like Rancho for me based on this discussion If your still here Rancho, let me know what I need. I have a 2012 JKU with and 3" BDS lift and 35" tires. Hard top in winter, soft in summer. Heavy front and rear bumpers and winch so lots or extra weight. What part number and where is best place to buy? Thanks I'm advance for your help on this.
Go with the RS9000, start shopping tomorrow after the rebates start. Check the vendor here named bustabiz who is Bryan at 4 wheel parts, or Chris at jeepaddons , both will have very good deals.

Quick Reply: Best shocks for the money