Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Roof Rack

Old 08-02-2011, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Markdsv
MRBP will take the weight of a roof top tent + occupants no problem, there is a picture around with 5 big guys standing on top of a MBRP roof rack. Remember that the roof rack is supported with steel brackets putting the load on your tub from the inside, very clever design! I have recently installed the MBRP front extension as well, awesome !!!!!

do you think it will work with the rugged ridge light bar? I feel the MRBP light bar is to high, so the rack in the front sits higher over the roof then the back. And I already have the rugged ridge light bar.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Junkie

How did you go about getting the AEV snork to work with the MBRP roof rack I was one of the early adopters of the system and found out the hardway that they wouldn't clear one another without cutting the main bar on the passenger side for support or cutting the top tube and re welding them on the opposite sides allowing for more clearance. I wanted it to work for such a long time then eventually gave up and put the $ towards other things. I'm now waiting to see what the RR snork will actually come out looking like and am rather glad I didn't mess with the bars too much since I like the smaller lower profile snorkel look.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fadeout
How did you go about getting the AEV snork to work with the MBRP roof rack I was one of the early adopters of the system and found out the hardway that they wouldn't clear one another without cutting the main bar on the passenger side for support or cutting the top tube and re welding them on the opposite sides allowing for more clearance. I wanted it to work for such a long time then eventually gave up and put the $ towards other things. I'm now waiting to see what the RR snork will actually come out looking like and am rather glad I didn't mess with the bars too much since I like the smaller lower profile snorkel look.
It looks like he cut the bar.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:35 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lone Wolf 87
Yeah I agree, I think they make two types of racks, one for the square back and one for their fastback hard top. I like how they have gas shocks to aid in lifting the cage out of your way. I also like that it can support 1000 lbs static weight. But like every other company, it can only support 300lbs while moving (correct me if I'm wrong here) But one thing I'm trying to avoid is drilling into the body, so that eliminates a lot of the selection out there. And from what I've heard, Gobi is the only rack where you don't have to drill into the body and is very stable and high quality, hence the high price.
I believe it say's on the Wild Boar site that their rack can support 1000lbs stationary weight and 500lbs while it's moving....but I don't think you'd want any more weight than that up there anyways going down the highway.

It was pretty easy for me to decide on which roof rack to get.... I got my Wild Boar rack from the dealership for free. They had it sitting out behind their shop and asked if I wanted it. It was in like-new condition and they installed it for me for $80. I get a lot of compliments because of the rack.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:21 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the wild boar rack and love it. Super solid.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1455769520.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	189542   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1879181866.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	189543   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2411898405.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	189544  
Old 08-02-2011, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just installed a Gobi. It I super solid and extremely well made. Couldn't be happier. Dave @ Alpha Expeditions is great to deal with as well.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:10 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tomed13
It looks like he cut the bar.
Check out the upper corner on the passenger side in the second picture. Looks like a custom mount.

Sweeet fabrication
Old 08-02-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by just JK'n
I have the wild boar rack and love it. Super solid.
Cool! I was wondering how it would look with the top off. Looks good!
Old 08-03-2011, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Runewolf1973

Cool! I was wondering how it would look with the top off. Looks good!
Yeah. I'm really happy with it
Old 08-03-2011, 09:17 AM
JK Newbie

I just installed a Gobi rack and very happy with my outcome. Though static load is 600 pounds with moving at 300. One thing that made my decision easy was it was strictly bolt on. Very solid and it looks great. The Gobi and the Wild Boar look very similar.
Dave at Alpha Expedition was very quick with answers to questions and informative.

Quick Reply: Best Roof Rack