Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Roof Rack

Old 06-20-2011, 07:56 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is GOBI the only rack that bolts to the frame at the bottom? What about Body Armor? I'm hesitant to drill holes into the sides of the Jeep, and I'm really surprised the MBRP racks are rated at 500lbs when they're mounted through the sides of the Hardtop with just a few bolts... it's pretty flimsy metal.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lone Wolf 87
I ride the beginner/ intermediate trails in Raush Creek, PA and don't really need a roof rack yet. I was putting my money into something I didn't need just yet b/c I don't go camping (yet) or have a kayak (yet) haha.
Lone Wolf, if you're ever up in State College, PA or I'm down at Raush Creek and you want to see a Gobi in person, let me know. I do camp, kayak, and mtn bike and the Gobi is awesome. IMHO, the best rack you can get for a soft top. As ridiculous as it would be, when I put my hard top back on in the fall, I'd love to have a MBRP rack for it.

I too was sad to lose the Sunrider option for those questionable days. Now I find myself taking more chances, lol. I don't have the quick discos and it adds an extra 5 mins to unbolt/tilt and another 5 mins to lower/re-tighten. I guess I am probably headed in the direction of replacing the carpet with the Mopar rubber liner and covering the seats in neoprene.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bripsu
Lone Wolf, if you're ever up in State College, PA or I'm down at Raush Creek and you want to see a Gobi in person, let me know. I do camp, kayak, and mtn bike and the Gobi is awesome. IMHO, the best rack you can get for a soft top. As ridiculous as it would be, when I put my hard top back on in the fall, I'd love to have a MBRP rack for it.

I too was sad to lose the Sunrider option for those questionable days. Now I find myself taking more chances, lol. I don't have the quick discos and it adds an extra 5 mins to unbolt/tilt and another 5 mins to lower/re-tighten. I guess I am probably headed in the direction of replacing the carpet with the Mopar rubber liner and covering the seats in neoprene.

Thanks! It's funny b/c when I was searching for pics of the gobi roofrack, I ran across yours on another thread and saved it. Beautiful jeep btw. Yeah losing the sunrider option is what's giving me heartache haha. I actually use it more than just dropping the top completely (only b/c rain has a way of creeping up outta no where here in the philly area). Let me know if you line the bottom of your jeep, I'd love to see it. And as far as the neoprene seats go, I'm loving my Cover Kings, but a lot of people like the Wet Okole (sp?) too.
Old 07-01-2011, 06:32 AM
JK Newbie

Default My Rack!!!

I have had the Kargomaster rack on my wrangler for over a year now and use it for my kayak. I have had no issues and completely love it.

For the price it can't be beat.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:03 AM
JK Newbie

WB on my 2 DR. I had no problem drilling holes in the body.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IPhone 381.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	177494  
Old 07-01-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Freak

Default MBRP roof rack

I love my MBRP roof rack, it is easy to install, very strong and looks great ! I am just getting my front MBRP roofrack modified to fit my AEV snorkel, pictures soon, here some pictures of the main rear rack

Old 07-05-2011, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Gotta love those expedition vehicles! We need more on the forums. I'm making mine into one so when I have time to be all "outdoorsy" I'll be prepared.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Lone Wolf 87
Yeah losing the sunrider option is what's giving me heartache haha. I actually use it more than just dropping the top completely (only b/c rain has a way of creeping up outta no where here in the philly area).
To tell you the truth, I'm still not 100% sold on the rack with a soft top. An extra 10 minutes to operate the top in either direction and the wind flutter/slap are not insignificant.

On the days I am loaded up with bikes and kayaks, I'm a happy camper. However, my Jeep is also my daily commuter and I enjoy going topless when I can.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

will the MBRP rack take the weight of a roof tent (occupied)?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:17 PM
JK Freak

Default Mbrp

MRBP will take the weight of a roof top tent + occupants no problem, there is a picture around with 5 big guys standing on top of a MBRP roof rack. Remember that the roof rack is supported with steel brackets putting the load on your tub from the inside, very clever design! I have recently installed the MBRP front extension as well, awesome !!!!!

Quick Reply: Best Roof Rack