Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Roof Rack

Old 05-30-2011, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Roof Rack

I've been wanting to get a roof rack and was dead set on the GOBI recon series. It's actually my first pick. But the problem is that you can't use it with the sun rider option of the soft top. I know it's a minimal thing, and it's the only the that's making me think twice about purchasing it. Are there any roof racks out there that will allow me to use my sun rider while still keeping the rack on my jeep? For the money I know that Gobi is the most expensive one out there, but from what I've seen, it was the best.

I have a 2010 2dr Rubicon with a soft top btw.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know most roof racks are rated to 300 pounds and Kargomaster is rated to 500 pounds. Those Gobi's are nice. I was looking into getting a cage, but I garage my jeep so height is a consideration, and as it is my roof just makes it if I don't bounce.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm picking up a gobi from a guy here on the forum and I'm almost positive in his pics of it he had just the sunrider open if it wasn't him I know I have seen it like that on someone's jeep here on the forum I just cant remember the thread
Old 05-30-2011, 07:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rterese12
I'm picking up a gobi from a guy here on the forum and I'm almost positive in his pics of it he had just the sunrider open if it wasn't him I know I have seen it like that on someone's jeep here on the forum I just cant remember the thread
I think I know who you're talking about. I haven't seen the pics, but I think I rememebr him mentioning that he didn't have a problem with the sunrider opened up. The thing was that I've been emailing back and forth with a rep from Alpha Expedition, and he says that the sunrider option won't be available once the "Recon" series racks are installed. And that the Recon racks are the newer 2nd gen racks that offer a better fit for the 2010 and up soft tops.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Garvin Wilderness rack pivots back allowing you to open the front.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Give T&T Customs a call. They will build you anything you want. Very nice rack, rated at 500 lbs. and lots of options. Built in the USA!

Last edited by Sharkey; 05-30-2011 at 08:54 PM. Reason: No non-sponsor contact info please.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the input! Does anyone know about the Wild Boar racks? They seem to be up there along with Gobi and Garvin.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lone Wolf 87
Thanks for all the input! Does anyone know about the Wild Boar racks? They seem to be up there along with Gobi and Garvin.
I do like how they fold to the side and not back might make it a little bit easier and not so heavy to maneuver but they seem to be more geared to go with their hard tops IMO
Old 05-31-2011, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah I agree, I think they make two types of racks, one for the square back and one for their fastback hard top. I like how they have gas shocks to aid in lifting the cage out of your way. I also like that it can support 1000 lbs static weight. But like every other company, it can only support 300lbs while moving (correct me if I'm wrong here) But one thing I'm trying to avoid is drilling into the body, so that eliminates a lot of the selection out there. And from what I've heard, Gobi is the only rack where you don't have to drill into the body and is very stable and high quality, hence the high price.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

im gonna be getting the mprb rack. i like the fact that it doesnt cover the whole roof

Quick Reply: Best Roof Rack