Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best "road tire" of these 3 is...

Old 03-10-2014, 12:53 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best "road tire" of these 3 is...

My background - 2009 Rubi Unlimited, 6 speed, virtually NO mods as of now...I do NOT off-road, nor plan to, to any serious degree (minor trails, and that's about it)...it's a 3rd vehicle, used almost exclusively for taking kids to baseball fields, cruising around town, just a fun vehicle like a convertible...

Goal is to achieve better, smoother road ride, sit a little higher, but not mess with general steering,, handling, etc. Really want to improve the general driving performance from stock, and am considering the following mods:

35" tires - choice is between Pro Comp Radial Xtreme A/T (315/70/17); Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ (same size); or Toyo Open Country A/T II (same size).

New AEV Pintlers (Silver)

AEV 2.5" Dualsport XT Suspension lift

I am a total newbie to this, and I think I've narrowed my choices down to the above. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!
Old 03-10-2014, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

I just ordered a set of Toyo A/T's. I have no experience with any others to compare them to, but I test drove my buddies Rubi which had a Metalcloak 3.5 inch lift and 35 Toyo's. The ride was great and the A/T's were quite, which is why I ordered a set. My set should be in in about a week and I decided on a 2.5 Metalcloak lift. I'm on the same boat as you (newbie, mall crawler, light trails). Not sure how other tires or lifts feel but I think I made a good choice. Good luck!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:37 PM
JK Newbie

I know several people who run the ATZ'S and love them. Good road handling and good offroad for an AT. No experience with the others.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:14 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have no experience with the other two brands but I have had 3 sets of Toyo AT2's in E rated and would get a 4th set if something happened to these. I just did a 1500 mile Highway trip at 75-80mph and were smooth as silk and handled great. Lots of rain and snow and never gave any problems.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

I have toyo At IIs in a 295 70 18's (34.3x11.8) on my duramax. I love them. I swapped over from a 35x12.5 20 Trail grapplers. I really like the look, ride, and lack of rode noise the AT2s get. I wanted to put them on the wifes jeep, but at the time they were as rare as unicorn shit. AT II's get my vote.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of those 3 I would go with the Toyo Open Country
Old 03-12-2014, 03:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by treymccoy
My background - 2009 Rubi Unlimited, 6 speed, virtually NO mods as of now...I do NOT off-road, nor plan to, to any serious degree (minor trails, and that's about it)...it's a 3rd vehicle, used almost exclusively for taking kids to baseball fields, cruising around town, just a fun vehicle like a convertible...

Goal is to achieve better, smoother road ride, sit a little higher, but not mess with general steering,, handling, etc. Really want to improve the general driving performance from stock, and am considering the following mods:

35" tires - choice is between Pro Comp Radial Xtreme A/T (315/70/17); Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ (same size); or Toyo Open Country A/T II (same size).

I am a total newbie to this, and I think I've narrowed my choices down to the above. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!
Same boat here. Did the same lift. I have run through 6-7 sets of Toyo's on my trucks and cars. Love the tires. Right now finding 35x12.50 is next to impossible. I have found them but am paying a premium to get them. Are there better tires??? I am just not fixing something that's not broke.
Old 03-12-2014, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

I run 35" Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ and love them. They look rugged, very quiet (considering size) and do great off road also.

Actually looking to buy 2 new ones right now.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:03 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant go wrong with Toyo. They make awesome tires. Im running toyo mt's and they're awesome. Guy i work with only runs the at2 on his rams and swears by them. He wants the extremes next.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:57 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by treymccoy

You should seriously consider Goodyear Duratracs. I have them and can't be beat. Great on road and off. Little road noise.

Quick Reply: Best "road tire" of these 3 is...