Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Road Tire For JK

Old 01-26-2010, 07:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sethc84
Ok, so as the title says, I am looking for the best road tire to put on my jk.

The new tires will be going on stock X 16" steelies.
I would like tires that are good in snow and rain and obviously have good dry traction.
I'm thinking of something in the 33x10x16 size. (Is that too big?)

These new tires do not need to handle any wheeling. I currently have 35s (mt/r kevlars on 15" wheels) and don't want to wear them out with too much road driving. I think it would be nice to have two good sets to swap back and forth for wheeling and regular driving.

What do you guys suggest?
How do the GY MTR Kevlars fair on all terrain? I'm looking at potentially getting a set of these in 35's when I get my lift.....I do a lot of city/around town/hwy driving and hit some trails and mountains on weekends. No serious wheeling as of yet, but I just prefer the look of these over an A/T tire. I've heard that these kevlars and the toyo M/T's are both very good on road, quiet, and wear well too. Would anyone recommend these for my driving habits, are do I need to get my head out of the M/T clouds and just get A/T tires which would be more pratical I guess?
Old 01-26-2010, 07:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm gonna give a reco..... Goodyear Silent Armor. Go to the good year web site and check out the ratings.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by roadking54@gmail.com
How do the GY MTR Kevlars fair on all terrain? I'm looking at potentially getting a set of these in 35's when I get my lift.....I do a lot of city/around town/hwy driving and hit some trails and mountains on weekends. No serious wheeling as of yet, but I just prefer the look of these over an A/T tire. I've heard that these kevlars and the toyo M/T's are both very good on road, quiet, and wear well too. Would anyone recommend these for my driving habits, are do I need to get my head out of the M/T clouds and just get A/T tires which would be more pratical I guess?
I would recommend the goodyear mt/r Kevlar's all day long. They are great but I don't want to wear them out with road driving and it would be nice to get some better milage on road trips. Not to mention the extra wear and tear on ball joints and diffs that I hope to avoid.
Old 01-26-2010, 07:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Winyah
I'm gonna give a reco..... Goodyear Silent Armor. Go to the good year web site and check out the ratings.
Will take a look. Thanks
Old 01-26-2010, 07:31 AM
JK Super Freak

You can't go wrong with a nice set of classic whitewall street tires.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by e-jeep
I went with Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ (LT315/75R16) ...so far I love them!!! Very nice on and off road (no rock crawling yet) ...very quiet on the pavement. Excellent in rain and snow.
ATZs will be my next set of tires. They are aggressive enough for the offroading I do and would last a bit longer (I would hope) on the pavement. Plus, they are a nice looking tire.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:10 AM
JK Freak

I've heard nothing but good things about the Hankook dynapro ATm RF10, im looking at getting a set of those or goodyear duratracs in the very near future.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

BFG AT. Had some on my H2 they felt great. And got 70k miles out of them. Great tires just rotate them and they will last.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:53 AM
bkw
JK Freak

search for "pizza cutters" on google. 255/85/16 is the size youre looking for and there are a handful of manufacturers who make an AT tire in that size. As for mounting them on stock 16" steelies, you may need a set of spacers to make them fit.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i like my nitto terras

Quick Reply: Best Road Tire For JK