Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best rear tire carrier bumper combo

Old 01-19-2010, 07:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanclimbs
QUOTE: "My only complaint is the same that it's always been, Expedition One itself. They deliver a solid product but they are a pain to deal with. They've had their Gerry Can system shown on their site for over a year and they're STILL not selling it. I had to basically extort them to get them to give me my CB mount and the coating was chipped durring shipping as the bumper came out one end of the box."

Thanks for the feedback and photo. Funny you say this... A year ago I was going to buy one from them and the customer service turned me off. That is a big deal to me. Since then I have heard similar stories... things do change though and I am all about giving people second chance! Maybe they'll pull it together!

hey ryan,

can you explain to me how that garvin rack is rigged up? i do not see any back mounting bars to the chassis??
Old 01-19-2010, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm really impressed with the AEV. It's so perfectly engineered that it's basically the same as opening the tailgate with a stock tire. And, the way AEV handles the pivot with 2 giant bronze bushings gives me a high level of confidence that it'll work exactly the same 60,000 miles from now.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about LoD??? I just ordered one still waiting...but I think they look sharp and look well made. It was LoD or Expedition one bumpers...LoD won out mainly due to free shipping in Canada thru Northridge4x4.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Second on the LoD rear bumper.

You can see both the rear carrier and the bumper in this pic. Let me tell you the carrier is almost as heavy as the bumper! This is a crappy iPhone photo, but if you wanted some better pictures from different angles, I still haven't mounted them yet. Let me know, I can drag it back out of the garage for a photo shoot!
Old 01-19-2010, 12:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah some close-up shots of them would be cool too. Especially of the front bumper. I am looking into buying bumpers for my '08 4dr Sahara soon and I like the look of what you just posted for the LoD bumpers.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Rack... it is mounted in the front to the bare that is welded to the windshield hinge!!!! In the back 2 bolts go through the soft top and bolt to the rollbar. The mount is made for TJ'd by Garvin but works on the JK bars with a little fab!

I heard some feedback on the AEV. 1.) the water holders are plastic and some think are cheap; and 2.) they match up to the stock flairs and alot of people (like me) don't use the stock flairs and it looks a bit funny.

The LoD bumpers are really cool and if I were considering a swing away it would be on the top of the list. I have backed into several trees; rocks, etc... and every swing away I have ever owned after years of wheeling doesn't work right. You have to lift 200 lbs of tires, gas cans, whatever to latch them and they are work to open and close etc...

That is just me though and I typically abuse bumpers; this may not be a big deal for 90% of the readers here like it is for me.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you have the money, check out FabFours rear bumper. I have one, and I absolutely love it. I like the looks, and its pretty much bullet proof. I got rear-ended by a Honda a while back, and the paint didnt even scratch on mine... The grill and hood on the Honda were completely destroyed though.

If you call them directly, I know they will give good deals.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

"BEST" can be a very subjective word. I love my XRC because it does everything the pricier version do and it cost half the price the big $$$ dogs do. You can use that extra money to take a ski trip for the valentines day weekend with your wife in the poconos like I did.

Quick Reply: Best rear tire carrier bumper combo