Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best rear tire carrier bumper combo

Old 01-15-2010, 08:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best rear tire carrier bumper combo

I use my Jeep. Although I have other vehicles I find myself driving my HUGE Jk every day because I love it! As a pro phtoographer I am in and out of the back section ALOT so when considering a rear tire carrier I think of ease of use, durability when I am wheeling hard, and I admit, looks!

So what have I found as the best options?

Well I like the Expedition one ALOT. Very well designed, single action, fits up to a 40" tire, and has TONS of accessories for it. It starts around $1400 with the tire carrier but I have found quality on things you use every day is well worth it.

The AEV is very similar. Offers a few less gadgets but looks sweet and has a very cool tube design. The specs are nearly identical but some would argue maybe a bit more robust and oh yea... the bumper holds water! DId I mention this is over a $1500 bumper?

Ok, So I am just about on an unlimited build budget for my JK. I usually just want the best but I also don't really like to spend unnessary money and have a good deal of experience fabbing my own stuff so I am always thinking I can design things better. Well, in this case I don't think you can beat the above bumpers but here is what I did:

I decided to "Try" the bestop solution. For $300 or so they make a replacement spare tire carrier. I put my MT/R 37 on a trailready beadlock on it. It was ok but when wheeling would "rock" occasionally. Over time I think the sheet metal may start to bend on the JK. Now let me back up...

The problem with most Swing away tire carriers is that they are way to heavy to pivot on a single pivot. I have custom built 3 of them now thinking each time I had it figured out and each time I was wrong, at least over time! They ALWAYS MOVE around and are a ton of weight and effort to open in general.

To be fair I have not tried EVERY bumper on the market and I alreay know 25 people are going to respond and tell me their swing away is perfect... and well, that is fine but I am betting your opinion will change on it over the next few years.

So back to my bumper. A 37" tire on a beadlock is WAYYYYYY too much weight for the stock tailgate. When it is just parked and open no big deal, but when you are wheeling and even regular driving I think over time the tailgate will begin to wrap. The key is that when it is closed the tire is "propped" against something. I have owned 7 TJ's and removed the rear tire carrier on every one. TJ's had GREAT tire bump stops on the tail gate and I started basically collecting them! Well it paid off because I mounted two of them to my rear bumper and made them udjustable so that when I close my rear gate the bumps push up and take the weight of the tire so that it doesn't move around at all!

I started by using a hitch but it decreased by rear departure angle and then off couurse the hitch wasn't usable which didn't work for me.

I also reinforced my tailgate with some 3/16" l channel at the top and bottom but I really don't think that was entirely needed.

In the end it works very well for a few hundred bucks. Don't forget you still need a rear bumper but it is still cheaper than the two options above by a long shot!

Hope this helps someone.

But what I am really writing this for is too ask if I am missing something!!! What else is out there and what are people doing that they think works really well? This thread is mostly aimed at quick access solutions and/or designs that are effortless.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Ok, So I am just about on an unlimited build budget for my JK."

I didn't there was that much cash in the pro photography business any more.

However, budget aside, I would have assumed someone in that profession would have a clinical eye for aesthetics and the Bestop carrier is mundane looking at best.

Anyway you picked an interesting way to start this tread.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

That is a good idea. Sounds like it is even somewhat hidden
Old 01-16-2010, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=spinlock;1515402]"Ok, So I am just about on an unlimited build budget for my JK."

I didn't there was that much cash in the pro photography business any more.

WEDDINGS... recession proof for the most part

However, budget aside, I would have assumed someone in that profession would have a clinical eye for aesthetics and the Bestop carrier is mundane looking at best.

That is interesting... all you you see is the tire. It bolts right to the gate so if you have a good looking tire and wheel it looks great because that is all you see. Not sure if you are referring to when the tire is off, but then who cares cause you never really see it.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

I like this expedition one. I currently have a warn with tire carrier--I wouldn't do this one. I like the idea of the single gate (supported by bumper). I would like to hear from people who have one of these expedition one bumpers.

I might have to get one.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:26 AM
JK Jedi Master

Hanson isn't cheap but it looks awesome, xtremely heavy duty, it's made in the USA.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm running the Expedition One rear bumper on Black Sunshine:

I like it. It works great but gets a little stiff in the cold. I think that's the grease I'm using though and I plan to repack the spindle this summer. It has an adjustable sleeve for tire size and I have their CB mount. It's definatly one of the most stout pieces of metal I've ever seen and I have no doubt it'll take more punishment than I'll ever give her. There's no mounting provision for a 3rd brake light which may or may not be an issue for you.

My only complaint is the same that it's always been, Expedition One itself. They deliver a solid product but they are a pain to deal with. They've had their Gerry Can system shown on their site for over a year and they're STILL not selling it. I had to basically extort them to get them to give me my CB mount and the coating was chipped durring shipping as the bumper came out one end of the box.

Would I buy it again? Despite everything more than likely. Rompalicious was excellent to deal with and was actually cheaper on shipping than going through Expedition One directly. (pssst DAVE! SELL EXPO ONE ALREADY!)

The only things they could do to improve it would be cut outs for backup lights (which I'm probably going to mod myself) and hi-lift jack points.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

QUOTE: "My only complaint is the same that it's always been, Expedition One itself. They deliver a solid product but they are a pain to deal with. They've had their Gerry Can system shown on their site for over a year and they're STILL not selling it. I had to basically extort them to get them to give me my CB mount and the coating was chipped durring shipping as the bumper came out one end of the box."

Thanks for the feedback and photo. Funny you say this... A year ago I was going to buy one from them and the customer service turned me off. That is a big deal to me. Since then I have heard similar stories... things do change though and I am all about giving people second chance! Maybe they'll pull it together!

Last edited by Ryanclimbs; 01-16-2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanclimbs
QUOTE: "My only complaint is the same that it's always been, Expedition One itself. They deliver a solid product but they are a pain to deal with. They've had their Gerry Can system shown on their site for over a year and they're STILL not selling it. I had to basically extort them to get them to give me my CB mount and the coating was chipped durring shipping as the bumper came out one end of the box."

Thanks for the feedback and photo. Funny you say this... A year ago I was going to buy one from them and the customer service turned me off. That is a big deal to me. Since then I have heard similar stories... things do change though and I am all about giving people second chance! Maybe they'll pull it together!

Well, like I said my solution was to buy from a distributor not directly from the vendor. That made the WHOLE THING so much easier. Rompalicious was excellent to deal with and they're the second company I recommend people go to for parts. Second only to Northridge.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Skippman
Well, like I said my solution was to buy from a distributor not directly from the vendor. That made the WHOLE THING so much easier. Rompalicious was excellent to deal with and they're the second company I recommend people go to for parts. Second only to Northridge.
Great looking Jeep and good vendor suggestions!

Quick Reply: Best rear tire carrier bumper combo