Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Rear Bumper (under $600)

Old 02-08-2010, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My only concern is some of the cheaper bumpers are 40mm (158") stock as apposed to 3/16" (187") for the more expensive ones. Not sure if its that big of a deal, though.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

Default removed hyperlink

I backed into my lil bros car and went to the dealer and got a quote for the rear bumper and labor for $830 that i sent to the Insurance company.. they sent me a check for that price and then I was able to pick up a a RR XHD bumper for $425 shipped from http://www.shopjeepparts.com/ . the bumper looks nice and was easy to install... its a full width so it lines up with the fenders very nicely. Also as stated before you an buy the tire swing later when you bump up to 35's...

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 02-09-2010 at 06:37 AM. Reason: please dont post clickable links to non-sponsors
Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07armygreen
Thank you. Part of being a Jeeper is doing your own work. I have done every bit on my JEEP myself, which is quite a lot. Now b/c of this there will be ZERO labor charges to speak of, and I will get the cheapest possible, even though I know this person could care less about the $$$.

Personally, if I had a good Superbowl weekend and then backed into a friends car.......I would expect to buy him a new bumper. Not think he/she is a "dirtbag" if they don't scour internet forums and Craiglist, then drive over an hour to get a "free" (which I have yet to find) bumper. Again, if I had a good Superbowl, then hit a car, I wouldn't call insurance and simply buy a new bumper.

Will I see what I can get a bumper for online and then subtract that from what I pay for a new aftermarket?......sure. I have found a stocker for $100 (hour drive each way) away and the license holder is $65.60 So, if I can find a deal for a used aftermarket for say $300.....I will get $165.60 from him, and buy the rest with my $$$.

But, to the poster who called me a "dirtbag" (captdick I think, nice name guy) F@ck you. Posters like you are a reason that I don't get on this forum as much as I used to. READ THE TOPIC, RESPOND OR DON'T. NAME-CALLING IS FOR LITTLE GIRLS ON THE PLAYGROUND. Seems like every thread gets trolled up. What happens with my family/friends on our property is our business. I did post what happened, but only to explain why I needed the bumper. Keep name-calling on the internet tough guy, real cool. That's not usually a behavior that is encouraged around here.

I stand corrected; you're quite the gentleman. Your point is both valid and eloquent. I can only hope to someday be the man you are today.

That aside... Where in Florida do you live? I found stock bumpers in Tampa, Orlando, and Miami for less than $100.

Unfortunately, I just gave mine away, otherwise I'd give it to you for shipping.

Last edited by Capndik; 02-09-2010 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-09-2010, 04:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thats terrible just get a take off for a hundred. Save your own money and pay for the new one. You must be a great guy to take advantage of an UNCLE. Even if he has money no need to gouge the guy. If he wanted too he would have said let me buy you an aftermarket bumper. But you gave him a price.
I'd hate to see what you do to a stranger.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same thing happened to me, almost... lady hit my rear bumper while parking her car and was kind enough to report it with the police and leave a note (happened in a college campus parking deck). I got her a few quotes for the repair (bumper + license plate bracket) and came out to just under $400. She happily cut me a check and I signed something releasing her of all responsibility.

So when I was in your situation, I searched for bumpers but decided to buy a SmittyBuilt XRC8 and a couple Hellas instead and live with the damage. Rear bumpers/tire carriers are to $$$ and I'm running a factory tire so I didn't see the need.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by amff27
Thats terrible just get a take off for a hundred. You must be a great guy to take advantage of an UNCLE. Even if he has money no need to gouge the guy. I'd hate to see what you do to a stranger.
Please explain WTF this even means.

Originally Posted by amff27
If he wanted too he would have said let me buy you an aftermarket bumper.
He did.....read posts before you bash.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think what your'e saying now is NOT what you said in the original post, the post that people are reading and is making you look bad.

I agree with you that if it costs $100 to bring it back to stock, there is no problem with you taking $100 from dude and putting it towards and upgrade. That's COMPLETELY reasonable. Nobody would look down on you for that.

However, your original post AND THE TITLE OF THE THREAD set the price point at $600 or less, so you can "save your buddy some money." Now, maybe we're all misunderstanding you, but the cost of a stock bumper doesn't change, regardless of which bumper you choose. So, no matter what bumper you went with, his contribution would be the same.

You see what I'm saying? If I'm out of line, let me know.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:41 AM
JK Jedi Master

There is no reason for personal attacks, if you can't particpate without throwing out verbal abuse, go somewhere else. This is your warning
Old 02-09-2010, 06:43 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok, c'mon. Please, enough is enough.

Please keep the thread on track or i will have to do something about it, and i have more important things to do than babysit this. Both sides have an opinion, it's pretty much been flogged to death.

Thank you.
~H.C.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:44 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

or, what PIAJ said, sorry for the double whammy. *L*

Quick Reply: Best Rear Bumper (under $600)