Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Rear Bumper (under $600)

Old 02-08-2010, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 07armygreen
OK.....last night a buddy backed into the back of my JK.....hard. I will post pics later. Anyways, he wants to pay to fix it, and I see this as the perfect opportunity to get a new rear bumper. Since I'm sure a new factory bumper is ridiculously priced (and who wants stock) I am going aftermarket.

BTW- before someone says.....I AM aware there is a search feature. But, it pretty much sucks. On the whole first page of "rear bumper" there a wide range of topics, not many help. Also, I have looked at the comparo's, I would like to see what some jeepers who have them (or experience with them firsthand) have to say.

I want to get a reasonable price for my friend. Also, I've seen some w/ tire carrier are WAY out of my price range (like over $1,200.) I think it was PureJeep had one for $500 that doesn't have a carrier, but will help to support a 35" tire. Also, I am going from 33's to 35's within the next 4 months. If a tire carrier is an absolute necessity (don't think it is) I can throw a little $$$ in and get one with a carrier. So.........what's the best? Got pics? What's price?

The stock bumper is under $250.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the rancho i like it. I also have a Rear bumper i took off in PERFECT Condition ill sell you for 50 buck's and you pay shipping! how about that!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UGOTKERN
If he's truely a buddy why are you trying to screw him over?
I'm sure he already feels bad enough without you handing him a bill for $600 for your new aftermarket bumper.
Originally Posted by MOJEEP
Sound like your trying to screw your buddy. It's hard to give these rear bumbers away and they are all over craigslist. Smittybilt makes some pretty nice bumpers for a good price.
Originally Posted by Capndik
You're going to make your "buddy" pay for a bumper I (and many others) gave away for free? You're a dirtbag.
Originally Posted by UGOTKERN
So why not take total complete advantage of the guy? I'm sure you can work some other upgrades in there.....
Why all the hate?

I like to help out my friends whenever I can. If I mess something of theirs up (and I have), I do my best to make sure I do whatever I can to make it right. And I know they would do the same for me.

Sorry there are so many bitter people on this forum, 07armygreen.

Last edited by HotFrosty; 02-08-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

^ not cool. if a buddy did something to break something of mine. I would only expect him to make it look how it did in the first place.... If he finds a free replacement then great for him... I couldnt sleep at night knowing that im screwing over a friend but thats on your shoulders..... different strokes for different folks
Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thank you. Part of being a Jeeper is doing your own work. I have done every bit on my JEEP myself, which is quite a lot. Now b/c of this there will be ZERO labor charges to speak of, and I will get the cheapest possible, even though I know this person could care less about the $$$.

Personally, if I had a good Superbowl weekend and then backed into a friends car.......I would expect to buy him a new bumper. Not think he/she is a "dirtbag" if they don't scour internet forums and Craiglist, then drive over an hour to get a "free" (which I have yet to find) bumper. Again, if I had a good Superbowl, then hit a car, I wouldn't call insurance and simply buy a new bumper.

Will I see what I can get a bumper for online and then subtract that from what I pay for a new aftermarket?......sure. I have found a stocker for $100 (hour drive each way) away and the license holder is $65.60 So, if I can find a deal for a used aftermarket for say $300.....I will get $165.60 from him, and buy the rest with my $$$.

But, to the poster who called me a "dirtbag" (captdick I think, nice name guy) F@ck you. Posters like you are a reason that I don't get on this forum as much as I used to. READ THE TOPIC, RESPOND OR DON'T. NAME-CALLING IS FOR LITTLE GIRLS ON THE PLAYGROUND. Seems like every thread gets trolled up. What happens with my family/friends on our property is our business. I did post what happened, but only to explain why I needed the bumper. Keep name-calling on the internet tough guy, real cool. That's not usually a behavior that is encouraged around here.

Last edited by 07armygreen; 02-08-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Uneasy Rider
The stock bumper is under $250.
Actually, no. Local dealership price quote.

Rear bumper $324.99

License plate bracket $65.60

Total= $390.59 Just for parts.

Now, will my "dirtbag" self do all the labor? Of course, I will. However, I do think it's worth noting that lots of guys (prob over 70%) in my age range (26 yoa) WOULD NOT do this themselves. If I was at a party and backed into a Honda, prob set me back $600-800 bucks.

So, I am likely getting a used aftermarket, and of course doing all labor myself. Should cost my friend 200 bucks or less.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Soooooooo,

anybody see any good deals? I have looked on this site and another, also craiglist.org any help would be great. Thanks guys.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HotFrosty
Why all the hate?

I like to help out my friends whenever I can. If I mess something of theirs up (and I have), I do my best to make sure I do whatever I can to make it right. And I know they would do the same for me.

Sorry there are so many bitter people on this forum, 07armygreen.
Thanks man, forum has gotten a little more chippy as of late.

Couldn't agree more. If it was reversed, I would find a stocker and license bracket total it up.......AND HOPE my buddy put that money towards aftermarket. Also, I would buyfor the install.

I guess I'm crazy.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I like my Smittybilt SRC... You can get without the tire carrier pretty reasonable.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:39 PM
bkw
JK Freak

I've done tons of homework on rear bumpers with carriers..

Cheapest you'll find is the Rancho (~$360ish with discounts), then comes the Rugged Ridge XHD ($675), and then the Smitty ($750 with discounts).

With the RR XHD, you can buy the bumper first then add the carrier later without any drilling or anything.

In my humble opinion, the Smitty would probably be the best quality (and I use this term very loosely) of the bargain basement bumpers - especially if you go wheeling. If not, then the Rancho with the OEM endcap mod is the way to go.

Not sure if the fact that none of these bumpers are made in the USA matter to you, because none of they are. If I were in your shoes, I'd ask your 'buddy' for a few bucks and spend it towards a quality piece with no regrets and no half-assing.

Quick Reply: Best Rear Bumper (under $600)