Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best quality most affordable 2.5" lift

Old 08-27-2010, 12:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best quality most affordable 2.5" lift

I've read a lot of threads lately about the best lift for this or that, or what people think about specific lifts, but in my case I have a specific size and need and a budget range in mind.

So from what I've seen, above 2.5" is where things start to get really expensive, and my dealer won't have much grief with that size I believe... I also want to put a 1" body lift on in addition, please let me know if you advise against this.

I'm thinking I'll need HD springs because I will eventually be replacing the bumpers and adding more parts... So what is the most comprehensive and most recommended lift kit in the $500-$700 range? I'll be doing mostly daily driving, but some good wheeling too. Drivability, reliability, longevity, function off-road and resistance to sag are what I'm looking for.

I'm unsure if I'll find something to suit all of my needs in one kit (or in that price range), so will I need to purchase springs separate, along with a track bar and control arms? Brake line extensions? Bump stops? If I should save up a bit more before I can afford what I'm looking for, please let me know that too!
Old 08-27-2010, 01:25 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

You can start with the 2.5" TF coil lift. Add the front LCAs to get most of the "stock steering feel" back (by being able to adjust camber). Those can wait, but you're going to be living with the "like driving on ice" feeling until then. The trackbars will let you adjust the tire tracking by recentering both axles. That's another thing you can put off if need be (though some have as much as 3/4" of shift after a 2.5" lift, that was not my experience. YMMV). You can check out my signature for what I'm running; I'm quite please with it and the quality is top-notch.

As for the 1" BL: Why? With an X, it will reveal the ugly body pinch seam on the sides and on the rear that much more. The above components will let you run 35s and lots of heavy accessories.
Old 08-27-2010, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks a lot for the response Mark! I would like to install the LCAs and track bar with the lift, and I'm glad to hear the Teraflex 2.5" is working well for you, I was just reading a thread about that one specifically. But I'll need to purchase Teraflex LCAs and track bar separately, correct? I'm ok with that, and would prefer to save up a bit extra, wait and do it right. Does Teraflex sell these parts too or will I have to order another company's parts? Any reason they'd have to be the same manufacturer?

Oh and for the BL, it's more of an aesthetic thing I think, I like the stance of that amount of lift, though I guess I would be functional for water crossings and whatnot. I'd probably mask the pinch seams with flat black or bed liner, but if there's any sacrifice to function by having a BL then I'd scrap it. Function over form, but form is still a consideration.

So those springs would hold up well vs heavy accessories and cargo huh? That definitely puts this lift above others if I don't have to specifically buy HD springs for it... Thanks again Mark!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ancient Machine
Thanks a lot for the response Mark! I would like to install the LCAs and track bar with the lift, and I'm glad to hear the Teraflex 2.5" is working well for you, I was just reading a thread about that one specifically. But I'll need to purchase Teraflex LCAs and track bar separately, correct? I'm ok with that, and would prefer to save up a bit extra, wait and do it right. Does Teraflex sell these parts too or will I have to order another company's parts? Any reason they'd have to be the same manufacturer?

Oh and for the BL, it's more of an aesthetic thing I think, I like the stance of that amount of lift, though I guess I would be functional for water crossings and whatnot. I'd probably mask the pinch seams with flat black or bed liner, but if there's any sacrifice to function by having a BL then I'd scrap it. Function over form, but form is still a consideration.

So those springs would hold up well vs heavy accessories and cargo huh? That definitely puts this lift above others if I don't have to specifically buy HD springs for it... Thanks again Mark!
You can add the front trackbar and front lowers later on. I would hitting up the TeraFlex vendors here for a deal on these.

#1753418 Front Forged Trackbar

Old 08-27-2010, 10:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great, thanks!
Old 08-27-2010, 01:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Ancient Machine
... if there's any sacrifice to function by having a BL then I'd scrap it. ...
If you're running the six speed, the BL can cause problems with the shifter--some gears may not feel like they're going to stay engaged. Other than that, nothing performance-wise against it. Some folks have installed metal aluminum L-channel, painted, to hide the pinch seam. I went with a TF front track bar, and JKS rear, based on David's recommendation at Northridge4X4. You might give him a call and see what he recommends today--these parts go through occasional redesign. And, his service is top-notch.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Former Member

Check out our new premium plus 3" kit. Its perfect for your needs.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Awesome, I appreciate the further input, thank you all!
Old 08-27-2010, 06:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you are going to do a 2.5 with a 1 inch body lift, Rough Country has a 3.5 inch lift for $500 bucks. It comes with Front LCA's and best of all it has a 60 day money back guarantee if you don't like it and a lifetime warranty on all parts except the bushings. I just ordered mine and waiting for it in the mail but heard great things about them. The other lifts are great as well, just trying to give you other options... good luck to ya!
Old 08-28-2010, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Would I be ok with the shocks I have from my Rubicon Express BB, or would upgrading be advisable? There are lots of 2.5-3" kits out there with no shocks...

Quick Reply: Best quality most affordable 2.5" lift