Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best PS Bumper Finish?

Old 12-10-2011, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best PS Bumper Finish?

Im interested in getting the Brawler Lite front bumper and i want a black finish. Just curious what those do it yourselfers out there have had a good experience with. I have heard a lot of good things about a primer then a spray can bed liner. Anything else out there that would be recommended or is it worth it to just have a shop fabricate it for me?
Old 12-11-2011, 03:19 AM
JK Newbie

Bump...my PS bumper is on its way and want to know the same.

Can't wait to see wife's reaction when it shows up and needs to be painted.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just take it to the powder coater, it will be much cheaper in the long run. You figure cost of primer, base coat and your time and you have far exceeded the price of powder coat.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zboilla
Just take it to the powder coater, it will be much cheaper in the long run. You figure cost of primer, base coat and your time and you have far exceeded the price of powder coat.
+1

I originally planned on painting mine myself. After I figured out the cost of the primer and paint (I wanted a matching color), I think it was only $25 more to just get it powder coated. Let me know if you want to see pics of it powder coated.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:54 AM
JTG
JK Enthusiast

Powdercoat is the way to go! Spray paint is very difficult to get an even, consistent finish on larger areas, and spray-on bedliner tends to fade and is a bitch to clean!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:19 AM
JTG
JK Enthusiast

Oh, and whatever you do, don't use Rustoleum texture finish! It doesn't spray well, goes on too thin, and dries to dull grayish finish that feels like sandpaper. It's only saving grace is that it's easy to touch up
Old 12-11-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am not a big fan of powder coating. If you are wheeling that thing, it will get scratched and start flaking. To fix that, you have to powder coat the whole thing again. If it was paint, you just touch it up. Way cheaper in the long run
Old 12-11-2011, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will second no love of the powder coating option. On any part/armor that is going to get scraped over rocks, powder coat is not the best option if you want to be able to re-touch it up at home.

My buddy who built my bumpers uses an industrial self-priming polyurethane paint that is slick and dries super fast. I don't know the name of it, or if one could order less than 55 gallons, but there must me something similar on the personal use market.

I know some folks like the looks of rough texture paint, I do too, but when I thought about it why would I want a rough texture on a part I want to actually slide against rocks and logs? Makes no sense to me.

Of course, if your front bumper is unlikely to ever slide on rocks, powder coating or rough texture paint is a fine option, it is just not the best option for my own use.

Regards,

Walker
Old 12-11-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Freak

I powdercoated my Brawler Lite I powder coated it black with 80% gloss, so it isn't to shiny.

It looks great! I can't wait to get the fender flairs and Brawler Rockers, to go with the front and rear bumpers and crusher corners.

Quick Reply: Best PS Bumper Finish?