Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

best place for replacement engine

Old 01-28-2021, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best place for replacement engine

Hey! I was wondering where y'all think is the best place to get a new engine for my 2010 JK. I need to replace it and will be purchasing the new engine soon. Please help me out where to purchase the new engine. I will be doing all the labor as I have prior mechanic skills in engine replacement. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you so much!
Old 01-28-2021, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Following. With 230k on the 3.8l, I'll be looking for a replacement shortly. For a while there was a singular long block available on Amazon through America's Most Wanted 4x4- they're known for the motor swaps they do so I imagine even if it isn't a new motor, they've likely got a good, used one sitting around. I also had Powertrain products on my list, they offer a high mileage, no fault warranty, though it seems I read a recent review that wasn'tcasting a positive light on them- though it's the only review I've seen.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 378 Likes on 353 Posts

There are multiple companies that offer re-manufactured Engines... eg: I checked for 3.6L with the Largest Mopar parts wholesaler.. List on R8259595AB is $4650.. with a 3 year 100,000 mile parts and labor warranty.. this dealer also has an Long Block non MOPAR listing for $3819.90 .. Being the largest MOPAR Wholesaler they will price competitively against others in the marketplace.. There is a difference between Remanufactured and Refurbished.. Remanufactured is completely checked for all parts and components being within factory specs not inspected and the broken part being replaced. Check your Jeep dealers in your markets for their pricing.. BTW.. the MOPAR Reman will be VIN specific to ensure a correct fit. Get a Reman engine with a good warranty is my advise.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I’ve known a few guys in the Toyota realm that have used jasper for new engines and they have done well. I personally have no experience with them but they’re worth looking into.

Out of curiosity, if you have the skills, why not rebuild it yourself? Are the rebuild kits priced reasonably? If so, tearing an engine down and giving some parts to a machine shop then reassembling it with new pistons, rings, bearings, etc is much cheaper than a new engine and you get the same thing with a bit of work.
Old 01-28-2021, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Just did a quick look, it looks like a decent rebuild kit is between 6-800 bucks. Add 500 for a machine shop to hone the cylinders, polish the crank, and clean everything up.. a couple hundred for fluids and other extras, and you have basically a new engine for $1500.
Old 01-28-2021, 04:17 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,860 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Here's an old thread with a lot of the similar talk when @poesdad had to replace a 3.8L -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...eplace-350645/

and even more Jasper talk here -

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-3-8-a-157696/

I think this is the issue Karl is noting on the Power Train product....the broken camshaft. That may have been a fluke, but who knows.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc.../p2172-353573/
Old 01-29-2021, 07:06 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

I would go with Jasper if keeping the factory motor.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

We've had success with the jasper rebuilt engines in our race cars. We've yet to have any jeep engines replaced. *knock on wood*
But I would keep an eye on shops that offer engine swap services like rubitrux out of western NC
Old 01-29-2021, 02:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking into Power Train also I have heard reviews that were good but of course I am sketchy with anything that big of a purchase.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I just replaced my '13 with a PP engine. No complaints. I heard good things about jasper as well though their pricing didnt really make it friendly for a residential ship and PP did. PP won out with the customer service and response time as well. I didn't get the vibe from jasper that they were interested in catering to the garage install market. I ordered from PP and the crate was wheeled into my garage 4 days later. Shipped back and core charge immediately refunded. No BS whatsoever. Covid. So i have only 1,500 on the new engine. Still in break in period. As for quality, time will tell though i cannot say anything bad about the experience or quality.
The following users liked this post:
resharp001 (01-29-2021)

Quick Reply: best place for replacement engine