Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

best place to measure for front axle centering

Old 04-19-2014, 05:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default best place to measure for front axle centering

What points are you guys using for measurements to center the front axle after a lift.
The Silver Bullet is going up 4.5" tomorrow.

Cheers. ..

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum
Old 04-19-2014, 10:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The way I did it was place a 2x4 as tall as the top spring pearch and measure fr there to the 2x4 and do the same for the other side until you get the same measurements. Setting the tire pressure will help so the tire are the same height
and the jeep sitting on the ground
Old 04-19-2014, 11:02 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Assuming you're referring to centering the axle along the Jeep's travel direction (tracking adjustment via the trackbar) and not in the wheel well (wheel base adjustment via the upper and lower control arms): I placed a straight-edge vertically against the tires on each side and measured to the outside edge of the fenders. Works great if your tires bulge out slightly past the fenders.
Old 04-20-2014, 03:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys...I figured doing it with a straight edge on the outside of the tires and measuring to the fender would be good.
I wasn't sure however that would be very accurate considering tire lug variables and such.
But really that's the only way. Also it's not like it's a critical measurement down to the 1/8" like setting toe etc..

Sent from my LG-LS980 using JK-Forum
Old 04-20-2014, 05:14 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I did my lift, I used a laser level and indexed a few places. After I installed my lift, I simply realigned all index marks. I did this for the track bar/axle position as well. When I finished, I took it to a shop for an official alignment. They were impressed with how little they had to correct.

Quick Reply: best place to measure for front axle centering