Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Paint Protection

Old 03-12-2012, 05:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Paint Protection

Hey everyone...first thanks to all of you for helping me out over the last month make some great decisions on mods. This is my first Jeep, but I've fallen in love with them as a kid when my parents bought their first one in the mid eighties.

So, this past weekend I joined a group of friends out on some AZ trails for the day. We hit up some seriously amazing terrain, but it came at a cost. I now am the proud owner of a JKU with a great number of scratches/pin stripes on both sides. I know this comes with the territory of *using* my Jeep for how it's been designed. I welcome it, but it has me wondering:

What options are out there for really protecting the paint of my hood (sides), doors, fenders, etc. I'm seeing talks about plasti-dip, lineX, and even wraps. So, I plan be a serious weekend warrior, but I want to spend the money on protecting the paint just as much as I wish to protect the mechanics. And i really want to keep the Sahara Tan color prevalent and not start replacing items, like fenders, in black.

Your feedback is appreciated!
Old 03-12-2012, 05:43 PM
JK Newbie

If you wrap it with real tree camo that should do the trick and provide a thick layer of vinyl. 10 yrs from now the paint would still be new.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tdog02
If you wrap it with real tree camo that should do the trick and provide a thick layer of vinyl. 10 yrs from now the paint would still be new.
I'm really looking to keep the color and not replace it with a camo graphic. I assume there's a clear vinyl wrap or it could be color matched. Are there more affordable solutions? I thought wrapping is fairly expensive.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

go out with a chainsaw and clippers before every trip and trim all branches back so you scratch the paint haha
Old 03-12-2012, 06:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tford911
go out with a chainsaw and clippers before every trip and trim all branches back so you scratch the paint haha
That's what we did for the newbies on Jeep Jamboree Canada.
The majority of new jeeps sold are to females.
Guys buy used jeep so that can use it , they way it was built (stripes included)
Old 03-12-2012, 06:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Trail skins. I haven't used them but have read posts of those that have. Google them. Only $189 for the set to fit 2 door. $219 for 4 dr and can be customized with graphics for extra $. Looks like they are magnetic so can be used over and over.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SUBIGON

That's what we did for the newbies on Jeep Jamboree Canada.
The majority of new jeeps sold are to females.
Guys buy used jeep so that can use it , they way it was built (stripes included)
Well, Cannuck...your theory is shot: I don't have tits and I bought a new jeep...because I can afford it and I liked it. Next time try to contribute instead of making useless remarks, eh.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I know that this isn't what you're looking for, but in this category, I saw a new Rubicon on a Chrysler lot in San Jose that had the entire surface covered with what looks like the liner that gets sprayed into a pickup bed. It added $9,000 to the price! With lift, bumper, 35" tires, winch and side rails, the sticker came to $60,000!
Old 03-12-2012, 07:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HIROLLR
Trail skins. I haven't used them but have read posts of those that have. Google them. Only $189 for the set to fit 2 door. $219 for 4 dr and can be customized with graphics for extra $. Looks like they are magnetic so can be used over and over.
Thanks, I'll check these out. I've also heard that LineX does color matching. Has anyone ever lineX'd (color matched) their fenders (besides black, lol)?
Old 03-12-2012, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Grand Umpah
I know that this isn't what you're looking for, but in this category, I saw a new Rubicon on a Chrysler lot in San Jose that had the entire surface covered with what looks like the liner that gets sprayed into a pickup bed. It added $9,000 to the price! With lift, bumper, 35" tires, winch and side rails, the sticker came to $60,000!
That's an interesting idea. Excessively priced when covering the entire jeep. I can't imagine color matching only parts of the jeep and leaving others with the original paint would look too good.

Quick Reply: Best Paint Protection