Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best options for snow

Old 11-03-2014, 04:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by auceny

lol luckily I walk to work. Are any brand MT decent in snow and ice on the roads? I don't think I'm buying for a year or two so it's not a huge deal curently. Other than the fact that the Willys came with the Rubicon MT's so if they suck I'm in trouble.
I didn't like my Mickey Thompson MTZ's in the snow either...... The Duratrac is an AT tire that looks like an MT .... Win win
Old 11-03-2014, 07:28 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy has the GY mtr. Even thought I'm not a GY fan, those tires are much better for traction in the snow than my nitto trails. Lots of sipes.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:29 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also running the nitto trail grapplers.. After reading this thread my thought was to invest in some durotrac's, but would that money be well spent on them or should I spend my money else where.

I live in Georgia and when we get ice they don't do a great job of clearing it off of the roadways lol. I ran some POS off brand m/t on my old TJ last winter and it did fine.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
I didn't like my Mickey Thompson MTZ's in the snow either...... The Duratrac is an AT tire that looks like an MT .... Win win
You can get any tire siped and it will work a lot better in the snow. Siping will also help with traction and prolong the life of the tire since it helps the tire disperse heat (this is for tires that do not have siping in the mold).

Les Schwab:
Performance Tire Siping - Les Schwab Tire Centers®

Discount Tire:
Tire Siping | Siping Tires | Siping a Tire | Discount Tire
Old 11-04-2014, 06:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by spicoli
You can get any tire siped and it will work a lot better in the snow. Siping will also help with traction and prolong the life of the tire since it helps the tire disperse heat (this is for tires that do not have siping in the mold). Les Schwab: Performance Tire Siping - Les Schwab Tire Centers® Discount Tire: Tire Siping | Siping Tires | Siping a Tire | Discount Tire
Any idea what it costs to have siping done? After reading this thread, I was making plans to pull my newly bought MTRs for winters and holding on to the stock KMs to run until the snow is gone each spring.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:27 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It was $8/tire to get my 37" falkens siped at discount tire.

The other discount tire a few miles away said $12/tire, so it may be worth checking a few shops to compare.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spicoli
You can get any tire siped and it will work a lot better in the snow. Siping will also help with traction and prolong the life of the tire since it helps the tire disperse heat (this is for tires that do not have siping in the mold).

Les Schwab:
Performance Tire Siping - Les Schwab Tire Centers®

Discount Tire:
Tire Siping | Siping Tires | Siping a Tire | Discount Tire
Originally Posted by nthinuf
It was $8/tire to get my 37" falkens siped at discount tire.

The other discount tire a few miles away said $12/tire, so it may be worth checking a few shops to compare.
Is there any reason other than cost to NOT get stock KM's siped if you will see plenty of snow and ice? One day in the future I will probably end up with Duratracs, but that won't happen for a winter or two.
Old 11-04-2014, 11:39 PM
JK Freak

Is there any reason other than cost to NOT get stock KM's siped if you will see plenty of snow and ice? One day in the future I will probably end up with Duratracs, but that won't happen for a winter or two.
Nope that would be a good snow tire. Skinny tires, like stock tires, are better for snow/ice within reason. Siping a soft tread tire like the KMs makes a decent snow tire. True snow tires, like blizzaks, are the only things that stick to smooth ice, like black ice, from my experience. With a car I would run blizzaks, but a jeep just a good siped tire and drive wisely.
From what I have seen shopping around for new tires my area I would expect $10-$15 a tire for siping. I would recommend doing your spare too i case you need it.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:47 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Chopping up the tire could void the mfg's warranty. I had no issues warrantying two tires bought from and siped by discount tire, but it might be a good call to double check with whoever will be handling the claim in the event of a problem.

The stock km's are dirt cheap through craigslist, so warranty should be a non-issue for you anyway. If one fails, just buy a new set and have spares...

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-05-2014 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-05-2014, 12:19 PM
JK Newbie

I would say pick up some cheap steel rims.
Mount some fairly cheap but big snow tires like Cooper Discovers or Firestone Winter Force.
They can be had for under $100. Have them studded and off you go.
I didn't realize the difference dedicated snow tires can make especially with studs.

So you don't look as cool with smaller skinny tires in the winter months.
You really don't look cool in the ditch either.
I have never had a problem once I made to switch.

Quick Reply: Best options for snow