Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best options for snow

Old 11-02-2014, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! I have been looking into the lift that would best fit my needs and it sounds like a simple 2.5in teraflex with small wheel spacers would work fine. I know I'll probably want 35in tires someday. I'll also end up buying chains and some type of winch. But it sounds like I really don't have to rush that set up. I think I'll see how the first winter is and go from there. Stock might be just fine but doesn't look as badass. Anyone from Colorado have any input?
Old 11-02-2014, 11:39 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by AYFreeReef
2.5in teraflex with small wheel spacers ... 35in tires ... chains ...
Not sure that combination is going to work. You might get rubbing, and with chains, that rubbing might do some serious damage to plastic and sheetmetal. Not saying it won't work, just that I'm not sure I'd ever put chains on my Jeep. An unanticipated pothole might be a big problem. I have a friend with 33s and a 2.5" TF lift and 4.5" BS wheels and he uses chains no problem. But 35s?
Old 11-02-2014, 12:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

It's a good thing we never get any ice here in Colorado Springs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX_KyLuhdDQ
And as Mark noted, there is some info in the owners manual on the use of chains. So be sure to read that if you have not modified for more wheel well clearance.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

Wow that's a lot of ice d
Old 11-02-2014, 01:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
You're going to receive a lot of different opinions (surprise!). But, unless you like just throwing money down a cesspool, you'll pay attention to the advice in this "sticky" thread by Dirtman (stickv meaning it's there for everyone to read before posting, LOL).

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/

Bottom line: Unless you're just looking to waste money or strut your stuff with no real gain in performance, there's no reason to add more than the minimal lift necessary to accommodate the tires you plan on using. And tire size should be driven by the trails you anticipate traveling. Those of us in the know LOL at those who put too much lift and incur the wrath of the lift gods (early parts failure) for falling for the foolish notion that they "want it to look mean." A 2.5" lift with 35s can look pretty damned mean ...

Agree with Mark on this. Coming from Minn. I know snow over 40 years there. You can't beat the DuraTracs for snow and ice. Stay with 2.5 lift and 35's you will be just find.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ontario Canada here so we get the snow and ice... I run Goodyear MTR's in summer BUT COME EVERY WINTER..... I switch to my steel rims and the snow flake rated DURATRACS. Best tires I've run in winter a few years ago tried stock, Mickey Thompson ATZ's and MTZ's no comparison.... Duratracs all the way for winter. ICE just slow down..... If they made Duratracs in a 37" I'd use them all year round(good Offroad too). Good Luck!!
Old 11-02-2014, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Question

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Ontario Canada here so we get the snow and ice... I run Goodyear MTR's in summer BUT COME EVERY WINTER..... I switch to my steel rims and the snow flake rated DURATRACS. Best tires I've run in winter a few years ago tried stock, Mickey Thompson ATZ's and MTZ's no comparison.... Duratracs all the way for winter. ICE just slow down..... If they made Duratracs in a 37" I'd use them all year round(good Offroad too). Good Luck!!
How do your MTR's compare to the Duratracs in snow and ice? Just curious for future build planning.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by auceny
How do your MTR's compare to the Duratracs in snow and ice? Just curious for future build planning.
I've run both. Duratracs do well in the winter. MTRs are certain death. I don't even like driving them in the rain. If you have MTRs and it snows, take the bus.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
I've run both. Duratracs do well in the winter. MTRs are certain death. I don't even like driving them in the rain. If you have MTRs and it snows, take the bus.
lol luckily I walk to work. Are any brand MT decent in snow and ice on the roads? I don't think I'm buying for a year or two so it's not a huge deal curently. Other than the fact that the Willys came with the Rubicon MT's so if they suck I'm in trouble.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nthinuf
It's a good thing we never get any ice here in Colorado Springs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX_KyLuhdDQ
And as Mark noted, there is some info in the owners manual on the use of chains. So be sure to read that if you have not modified for more wheel well clearance.
That vid is great! Cant believe I have never seen that!

Quick Reply: Best options for snow