Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best option for tire carrier

Old 07-17-2013, 09:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's a picture of my OR FAB after installation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-04-22 13.21.06.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	479026
Old 07-17-2013, 09:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TF

love my terra flex. one motion to swing open the tailgate.

Easy enough install, and really, on my black jeep, it looks so factory, that I forget I have it.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really prefer the one handed operation of the Teraflex carrier. I wouldn't want to have to unlatch the carrier and tailgate separately.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:13 PM
JK Junkie

The Or-Fab is a pain to install but if you have an extra hand it goes a lot easier. It tool me about 6 hours with the help of my son-in-law & turn out very nice. It's well worth the chore & you get good instructions.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:39 PM
JK Super Freak

I just want to throw it my 2 cents on the OR-Fab install:

A lot of people say it is a real pain. I would disagree: all I needed to buy was an angle drill (Harbor Freight, $20) and I did it in under 4 hours while taking my time and did it by myself. Getting the washers in for the swing gate is a little tricky, but after that it's easy. I just put 10 gallons on fuel on my carrier a few hours ago and it sagged very little. The block the carrier locks into has curved edges to help with added weight due to fuel or water.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So to sum up for the OP:

Teraflex
PROS
  • Easier Install
  • One-handed operation
  • Well regarded on this board and others
CONS
  • Not quite as versatile. IIRC, there is a Hi-Lift carrier optional but that's it.
  • A matter of opinion (ok... MY opinion), not as good looking

Or-Fab
PROS
  • Very versatile with various can mount options, built in Hi-Lift mount, built-in CB Antenna mount.
  • Good looking (there is that opinion thing again)
  • Well regarded on this board and others
CONS
  • Install time consuming but nothing outrageous (can be done without angle drill, I outline the steps I took in post #25 of this thread, which is a good thread that gives an overview of install process). A second pair of hands makes it go easier.
  • Install requires holes drilled in places that will make you never want to take it off.
  • Two step opening process... Well three steps for me; take off padlock, open carrier, open tailgate.

And since I am a self-professed pic whore, here's my Or-Fab after install:

A few months later, I mounted Hi-Lift and small Spade. Here is a good side shot that would illustrate how far the Jerry Can version sits out.

Last edited by jeep_n_co; 07-17-2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 07-18-2013, 01:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Yellowfin
GenRight. Nuff said.
+2
I will be replacing my existing carrier with a GenRight carrier. They are awesome!
Old 07-18-2013, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

Another vote for the Or-Fab carrier. I have the rotopax version, and it has an integrated cb antenna mount, and threaded mounting holes for a highlift.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

OR FAB isn't a horrible ass pain to install. Just take your time drilling. I've been happy with mine. I was worried about the tire sticking out, but to my knowledge I've not hit anything with it. Great for camping. You can strap a few fold up chairs to it, a tent, recovery gear, etc... And I liked being able to run any bumper I wanted to. And you can put your plate in the middle, as with most carriers. Just ran a few bolts through the T handle and added a light.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Cuv
OR FAB isn't a horrible ass pain to install. Just take your time drilling. I've been happy with mine. I was worried about the tire sticking out, but to my knowledge I've not hit anything with it. Great for camping. You can strap a few fold up chairs to it, a tent, recovery gear, etc... And I liked being able to run any bumper I wanted to. And you can put your plate in the middle, as with most carriers. Just ran a few bolts through the T handle and added a light.
Pic of the plate mount?

Quick Reply: Best option for tire carrier