Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best option for my set up...recommendations? with nice pic.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best option for my set up...recommendations? with nice pic.

Hey guys!

I have a 2013 Rubicon 4dr with stock wheels and 37 GY MTR's. I am running the Rock Krawler 3.5 mid arm flex system. I have bushwacker flat flares, and when I go over bumps at certain speeds (not fast...just like a speed bump), I hear an awful "crunching" sound from the rear left side. I am 99% sure it is the back tire hitting the part of the flare that is just above the rock rails near the pinch seam. You can tell, because if you look directly at the flare it lines up with the tire if you imagine it dropping on a bump.

My question is how would I eliminate this? Would installing a one inch body lift help? Or, is there a way I could upgrade my RK lift to get an additional inch without it costing mega $$$? Should this even be happening?

I am not really wanting "the gap" from a body lift, but I will if necessary, I guess.

I have attached a pic to show what I am talking about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	flat fenders.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	431880

Thanks!

J
Old 03-09-2013, 05:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 1" or 3/4" spacer?
Old 03-09-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would bring it to the shop you got it done from my friend had something similar happen and the put in a body lift free of charge. I do not know if you will get something quite like this but it worth a shot. Good luck man and nice rig!
Old 03-09-2013, 05:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do an inch of coil spacers or downsize to 35. Trim that pinch seam
Old 03-09-2013, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

You did trim the pinch seam, right?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
You did trim the pinch seam, right?

Yeah, the pinch seam is trimmed as well as the rock rails. It's not rubbing on that part; it's rubbing on the part that is circled in the picture.

I have a M.O.R.E body lift that I have not installed yet, so I may go that route, but I just wasn't sure how the gap is going to look.

What exactly are the spacers or coil spacers? Would that just lift me an inch higher? Anybody recommend a certain brand or anything?

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by draaven

Yeah, the pinch seam is trimmed as well as the rock rails. It's not rubbing on that part; it's rubbing on the part that is circled in the picture.

I have a M.O.R.E body lift that I have not installed yet, so I may go that route, but I just wasn't sure how the gap is going to look.

What exactly are the spacers or coil spacers? Would that just lift me an inch higher? Anybody recommend a certain brand or anything?

Thanks for the help!!!
Coil spacers go on top of your coil springs and would give you the added clearance you need without adding the gap to your body im not a fan of body lifts either and would rather go with a coil spring spacer...
Old 03-09-2013, 10:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by draaven

Thanks for the help!!!
I am sorry but the more I look at your jeep the pinch seam does not look trimmed

If you can get a closer picture of said area
Old 03-10-2013, 01:56 AM
JK Freak

3.5" lift and flat fenders should have plenty of room for 37's. if the pinch seam is trimmed, then I think it's something else. It doesn't take 4.5 inches and flat fenders to run 37's

I would have someone drive it over something while you watch it to see what's going on before jumping into a body lift.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Option one. Trim Pinch seam some more

Option two. Move wheel back further in wheel well using adjustable control arms

Option three. Put longer bumpstops on so it doesnt hit

Option four. Install larger lift or spacer to lift Jeep up further

Option five. Put on body lift to raise the Jeep up further

I think these are in the order I would probably do them if necessary

Quick Reply: Best option for my set up...recommendations? with nice pic.