Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best offroad mods but stil good for daily driving

Old 06-07-2011, 07:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
sorry but you are driving the wrong vehicle if you are worried about mpg. Just have fun and work some extra overtime to pay for the fuel.
Funny you said that. I traded in my Liberty for a Patriot just to get more MPG, for the same reasons. I never had such a fun-sucking, totally miserable ride in my life! I thought all Jeeps had to be good, right? Well, the Patriot sucked so much @$$ I traded it for my JK within 2 months! So yeah, I'm with ya. Doesn't hurt to try optimizing though
Old 06-07-2011, 07:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Back to the topic instead of making me want 37s..... quick discos are good for off road and certainly don't hurt your on road performance at all. Wheel spacers are something else to consider if you'll be running wide (12.5") tires on your factory wheels. The wider stance makes the 2dr feel a lot better (IMO) on the highway.

I too do a 60 mile daily commute, so I haven't gone extreme....yet. something else to consider would be a set of nice shocks. You'll notice them on the highway but also when you go play off road. The breather extension is a good idea and I just recently did mine, 6' of tubing and a couple connectors and now my axle breathers are as high as the factory air box. Tcase comes next.
+1 for being in the same shoes and having good ideas
Old 06-08-2011, 04:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Truetrac's!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:02 AM
JK Freak

When you do move forward with 35's or 37's regearing will be your best mod to maintain maximum mpg and provide enough oomph to move those tires happily. IMO if you are a mild off roader and never plan to go over 35's 4.88 are best for mpg. It costs a lot more but there are bumpers, rockers, skids etc made of aluminum to cut weight. But then again how many miles would you have to drive, getting 1 extra mpg, to pay off the $1,000 difference in going aluminum?
Old 06-08-2011, 05:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is DD and trail ready. I get to the trail and pull the pins for the front sway bar and put it into stow position and have a blast. To get a good wear pattern on my big toyos I have to run them with so little air I hardly even air down anymore since I got these tires and they work great going places where people say I can't go without even spinning a tire.
Welcome to the lets have fun club, let the mods begin.

Quick Reply: Best offroad mods but stil good for daily driving