Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best offroad mods but stil good for daily driving

Old 06-04-2011, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got 33's with a 2.5" lift. I had to put the Superchips program on gas saver to get 17 mpg. I have the auto trans, 4.10 gears. I'm thinking it's all the weight from my front bumper, winch, Kongo cage etc. When I took off the roof rack, it didn't make a bit of difference.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jhb26len
anyone know what fenders Merlin is running in his pic? i really like the looks of em.
Originally Posted by JK.nick
Look like poison spyder.

EDIT: just kidding they are xenons! :Bleh:
Thanks for the compliment.

Yup. I had a set of the narrow Xenon's flat fenders Line-X'ed.

(However...for those who might do the same, a word of advice. Just do the tops. I had the entire flat fender coated, and it made them really stiff. If you still want some flex with them, just do the tops.)
Old 06-05-2011, 02:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The jury is out on if a snorkel does or doesn't improve MPG.

33s will be the largest tire without a lift, 35s will need a 2" - 2.5" lift to avoid rubbing off-road. Mods will add weight and increase the already brick-like aerodynamics, so poor MPG is part of the package but a Superchips or similar computer reset will compensate for 35s.

I'm down to 12 mpg but enjoy every step, its worth it.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Love this forum. Very helpful folks here This has helped me hone in on the look and purpose that I want. Thanks all!
Old 06-05-2011, 09:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by westchester
The jury is out on if a snorkel does or doesn't improve MPG.

33s will be the largest tire without a lift, 35s will need a 2" - 2.5" lift to avoid rubbing off-road. Mods will add weight and increase the already brick-like aerodynamics, so poor MPG is part of the package but a Superchips or similar computer reset will compensate for 35s.

I'm down to 12 mpg but enjoy every step, its worth it.
The "ram air" effect of the snorkel is so minimal you would not see it unless you where up into triple digits. Too many twists and turns and extra crap that you are running air around in. Ram Air is so minimal of a true effect on an engine it is not even funny. This is taking into effect that it is a true ram air system that is ducting true forced cold air into an intake. Massive $$$$$$$$$$ was spent on the concept in the 70's and very early 80's. I you look at the numbers, yes it does improve HP, but the numbers are so low it's funny.

End result, snorkel it if you need it, DO NOT expect MPG or HP increase from it. If you put everything that the magazines claim will give you %10 increase on your Jeep, you may spend 10k and get %10. If you want power, V8 it or rippcharge it, if you want MPG, don't mod it.

My advise...mod it and have fun with it and try to squeak out as many MPG as you can for what you wish to do.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:30 PM
JK Junkie

I get 12 mpg highway. And I do most driving around town only. I get 8mpg around town. I havent even installed my bumpers yet or lights or winch...and so on. Yet I love everything about my jeep and it is soo worth it
Old 06-06-2011, 01:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine's a daily driver. The snorkel hasn't made a difference either way whether on MPG of HP. I'm running a 2.8 CRD with a Tunit chip box and the latter was the only thing that made a very significant improvement in power and fuel economy. I'm just in the process of adding a winch bumper and winch as well as a safari roof rack but here's mine as it stands now:

33 x 10.5 BFG Mud Terrains are the tyre of choice for me and will keep your Jeep comfortable on the road without the squirreling from side to side in ruts that many with wider tyres notice on the highway.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wrangler07
Mine's a daily driver. The snorkel hasn't made a difference either way whether on MPG of HP. I'm running a 2.8 CRD with a Tunit chip box and the latter was the only thing that made a very significant improvement in power and fuel economy. I'm just in the process of adding a winch bumper and winch as well as a safari roof rack but here's mine as it stands now:

33 x 10.5 BFG Mud Terrains are the tyre of choice for me and will keep your Jeep comfortable on the road without the squirreling from side to side in ruts that many with wider tyres notice on the highway.
Very nice ride!
Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 PM
JK Freak

I set out 3 years ago to build a dd that can turn off road onto any level trail and get me home. Trial and error and 62k miles later, I love my current set up. mpg? Running 37's with 5.13 gearing and heavy bumpers/winch, I ave 15mpg around town. I'll accept that considering what all I else I got going on. 5.38's may have been better, but I was skeered of 5.38's in a d44. Now that I am running a d60 out back and a heavy ProRock up front, I'll have to recheck milage. My "yella" jk has gone through alot as a dd and no regrets going through "the process" of change and change again. As I told my wife, "part of the fun is tinkering" out in the barn on my jeep. I view my 6,000 lb 4 door as an HD off road truck and not like my old CJ's. It's a jeep alright, but a different animal than any 2 door. IMO, the best jeep I have ever owned and it has left many a cj/yj/tj owner stunned as it blew past them on extreme rated trails.

Best wishes in your journey to build your dd. "Have fun out their", and in the garage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2650718419.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	169353  
Old 06-07-2011, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

superchips flashpaq isnt compatiable with the 2011's yet.

cant wait till it is

Quick Reply: Best offroad mods but stil good for daily driving