Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Mud Terrain Tire Repair Kit?

Old 01-16-2015, 01:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by T&ERun
I've patched many tires. Cars, trucks, bobcat, mowers, etc. I've always just used the cheapo kit from Walmart or Autozone. The link above that shows the ARB kit shows the parts being very similar to the cheapie kits except the handles are metal instead of plastic. The cheapie kits are fine in my opinion. What makes the plug hard to install is if you get hung up on a belt or the tire is low on pressure. It is much easier if you pull out the nail or whatever, clean the hole out with the reamer, and then air the tire up close to where it should be. Then install the plug. If you want to spend more on one of the kits listed above that is fine (they should last longer at least), just don't expect the process to be any easier.
Thanks, T&E. That's the kind of info I was looking for. Next time I have to do it I'll air it up before inserting the plug. One advantage I do see with the kits mentioned above is the collar that allows you to hold the patch in place when pulling the plug tool out. The first plug I put in the M/T pulled out with the tool and I had to do it again.

Originally Posted by T&ERun
Is a patch better, I believe so, but a plug has never failed me.
I agree. I have never had a plug fail or cause problems with balancing.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One thing to add. I have never used the glue that comes in the kits. It does help on installing the plug, but for me I think it helps it come out also (until dry of course). In 14Sport's case, did the glue cause the plug to come out? Who knows. I've never used it, and again have never had a plug fail.

Quick Reply: Best Mud Terrain Tire Repair Kit?