Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Mud Terrain Tire Repair Kit?

Old 01-15-2015, 06:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Best Mud Terrain Tire Repair Kit?

I'm looking to get a new tire plug kit. I have the cheapo Walmart plastic handle one now (with what appears to be tar covered string plugs) which has always worked for me in the past on car tires. I recently had to use it for my KM2s and it was a bear getting the new plug in. I actually had to use a dead blow hammer with it. I'm not sure the plug is even all the way in but it has held up so far (about a month). Are MTs just harder to plug no matter what kit you have or did I bring a knife to a gun fight?

Also, I see there are many companies selling these like Safety Seal, ARB, Smittybilt, Trail Gear, PowerTank, Rugged Ridge, etc.. I am looking for any input, good or bad, from anyone that has used one on MTs, bonus points if on the trail.

Thanks, guys.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine uses the ARB. He's only needed it once but he's had in plugged without issues since July. (In a M/T)
Old 01-15-2015, 07:41 AM
JK Junkie

Good to know, JK505. I'm thinking you can't go wrong with ARB.

Anyone else?
Old 01-15-2015, 08:21 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the ARB kit. It's a quality kit.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:16 AM
Former Vendor

I'm sure you can guess what our answer is going to be.

The Power Tank Tire Repair Kit is the most complete I've seen. I got them for my wheeling buddies for Christmas and they love them! It has everything but the CO2!!

POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems
Old 01-15-2015, 02:04 PM
JK Freak

The BEST M/T tire repair kit is the one you brought with you!

Anything is better than nothing.

Of course tire plugs/patches won't do you much good 20 miles out on a trail unless you have an inflation device too.

Even a low cost, all inclusive kit like this one is a necessity when you venture from "civilization".

Slime - Flat Tire Repair Kit - Walmart.com

Old 01-15-2015, 03:16 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by PowerTank
I'm sure you can guess what our answer is going to be.

The Power Tank Tire Repair Kit is the most complete I've seen. I got them for my wheeling buddies for Christmas and they love them! It has everything but the CO2!!

POWERTANK - CO2 Air Systems
Lol...you're on my short list.

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
The BEST M/T tire repair kit is the one you brought with you!

Anything is better than nothing.

Of course tire plugs/patches won't do you much good 20 miles out on a trail unless you have an inflation device too.

Even a low cost, all inclusive kit like this one is a necessity when you venture from "civilization".

Slime - Flat Tire Repair Kit - Walmart.com

Yeah the slime is what I have now. Works great on car tires. I was looking for something more robust. I think. Do you need a hammer with all kits for M/Ts? It's not like I'm a weakling. I would say I am somewhere between Sheldon Cooper and the Hulk.

Last edited by 14Sport; 01-15-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've patched many tires. Cars, trucks, bobcat, mowers, etc. I've always just used the cheapo kit from Walmart or Autozone. The link above that shows the ARB kit shows the parts being very similar to the cheapie kits except the handles are metal instead of plastic. The cheapie kits are fine in my opinion. What makes the plug hard to install is if you get hung up on a belt or the tire is low on pressure. It is much easier if you pull out the nail or whatever, clean the hole out with the reamer, and then air the tire up close to where it should be. Then install the plug. If you want to spend more on one of the kits listed above that is fine (they should last longer at least), just don't expect the process to be any easier.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:12 PM
JK Freak

Not to highjack the tread but...

Say you do plug a tire on the trail or wherever... Do you consider the plug a temporary fix?

I've read that a properly installed patch is better because:

1) Taking the tire off the rim you can inspect the inside for other damage.
2) A power driven carbide reamer should be used to trim back the broken belt fibers so they don't stick into the hole and prevent a good seal or cause more damage.
3) Part of the patch process should be a plug in the hole to seal out moisture from the internals of the tire thereby protecting the belts from corrosion.
4) The internal patch should be vulcanized to the tire after grinding and cleaning the inside surface.
5) The tire should be rebalanced after permanent plug/patch is installed if there is the possibility of many more miles before replacing.

So, if there are any tire experts out there, can a plug, if of a certain type and installed in a certain way, be removed by a tire shop and replaced by a patch for a more permanent fix?
Old 01-15-2015, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
Not to highjack the tread but...

Say you do plug a tire on the trail or wherever... Do you consider the plug a temporary fix?

I've read that a properly installed patch is better because:

1) Taking the tire off the rim you can inspect the inside for other damage.
2) A power driven carbide reamer should be used to trim back the broken belt fibers so they don't stick into the hole and prevent a good seal or cause more damage.
3) Part of the patch process should be a plug in the hole to seal out moisture from the internals of the tire thereby protecting the belts from corrosion.
4) The internal patch should be vulcanized to the tire after grinding and cleaning the inside surface.
5) The tire should be rebalanced after permanent plug/patch is installed if there is the possibility of many more miles before replacing.

So, if there are any tire experts out there, can a plug, if of a certain type and installed in a certain way, be removed by a tire shop and replaced by a patch for a more permanent fix?
Many/most tire experts do say that plugs are not safe and to only patch a tire. I worked in a tire shop for awhile and we were not allowed to plug a tire. We could only patch it if was not close to a sidewall and under a certain diameter hole. I am not a tire expert by any means, but I have been around a lot of work trucks my whole life (or since I was about 15 that is) and have plugged many tires on cars and trucks and have never had one come out. Is a patch better, I believe so, but a plug has never failed me.

Quick Reply: Best Mud Terrain Tire Repair Kit?