Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best mud-terrain with on-road handling?

Old 02-27-2009, 08:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BFG KM2's

I was gonna go with the Hankooks for the price but with dumping over $2000 in new wheels and tires (spare included) I decided why not spend the $300 extra to get the KM2's and I'm sure glad I did. I am really happy with the on road performance of these. In the past I have had Goodyear MTR's, Cooper SSt, and these are the best looking and driving yet.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:32 PM
JK Super Freak

my opinion would be a directional tire such as ss iroks or the baja claws. a directional tire cleans its self very well off road and on road in rainy situations the directional tires push the water out from the center of the tire.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Rotating a directional tire

What is everyone's thoughts on the rotation strategy on a directional tire? I'd really like to include my spare in my rotation and do this all on my own but the idea of having to take it into the shop each time to have them flipped around on the rim seems like a hassle (and potentially detrimental to the rims).

I'm interested to hear anyone's rotation plans given all 5 wheels and directional tires.

Originally Posted by White Widow
my opinion would be a directional tire such as ss iroks or the baja claws. a directional tire cleans its self very well off road and on road in rainy situations the directional tires push the water out from the center of the tire.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great thread. Based on other threads for my daily driver I'll soom be getting MTZs for their all round abilities and they come reasonaly siped from the factory.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:21 PM
JK Super Freak

I have no complaints about my BFG KM2 35's. I'm sure in time there will be more road noise but right now very little road noise and handles well on and off road
Old 03-01-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by doc307
I have no complaints about my BFG KM2 35's. I'm sure in time there will be more road noise but right now very little road noise and handles well on and off road
I've got about 30k on my KM2's now and they got a LOT louder and you can feel the lugs as you slow to a stop now. It probably took about 20-25k before they really changed. I run them at 32lbs
Old 03-01-2009, 07:46 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tkob1060
I've got about 30k on my KM2's now and they got a LOT louder and you can feel the lugs as you slow to a stop now. It probably took about 20-25k before they really changed. I run them at 32lbs
I got 75K on my Toyo M/T's and need replacement in about 2-3K and they got really loud at 45-50K, it is fairly normal for any mudder to sound quiet for the first half of the life and get much louder as they wear down.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nangulator
BFGR KM2s! they handle great on road and incredible off-road!
Have to agree. Love my 35" KM2's
Old 03-05-2009, 11:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sazerac_TX
What is everyone's thoughts on the rotation strategy on a directional tire? I'd really like to include my spare in my rotation and do this all on my own but the idea of having to take it into the shop each time to have them flipped around on the rim seems like a hassle (and potentially detrimental to the rims).

I'm interested to hear anyone's rotation plans given all 5 wheels and directional tires.
I've always just rotated front to back, always keeping the tires on their particular side. It's not as good as a full bi-directional rotation plan, but works just fine on cars. I don't know about big mud terrain tires, though. I'd be curious to know if you'd get an extra 5-10,000 miles out of a full rotation compared to just swapping fronts for backs.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I guess I have only driven with one other tire (BF allterrains) but I have to say my tires never get any love and they are AWESOME! Check out the Dick Cepek Mud Country's, they are reasonably priced and a bad-ass tire just wish I had 35's

Originally Posted by pbungar
I realize there are a lot of discussions and opinions on this based on what people have tried but am hoping to get some input on buying some mud terrains. I am wondering which one has offered good on-road handling, especially on wet roads, as well since this is my daily driver. Thx.

Quick Reply: Best mud-terrain with on-road handling?