Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best mud-terrain with on-road handling?

Old 02-22-2009, 07:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pbungar
Good info. I have always wondered about siping and a little nervous about cutting into a good factory tire, does it degrade the lifetime or reliability of the tire?
A properly siped tire will actually increase it's life. There is a chance of some slight chunking off of some treads, so the outer treads on both edges of the tire should be avoided.

Also surprised the Toyo MTs haven't been brought up.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have the km2 quiet on road and works great off. had the procomp x terrain very loud on road as tread wore down and lasted about 22,000 miles
my next tire would probably be toyos open country mud or km2s
Old 02-22-2009, 08:01 PM
JK Super Freak

I'll 3rd or 4th the KM2's. They are very well behaved on the road; with one exception and that is in the winter. They are a bit on the margnal side on ice and packed snow. I had mine siped and it made a huge differnce. Next set I'm going to do myself as I think I can do a much, much better job than the machine the tire shop used.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are on a budget, like I was, the Hankook Dynapro M/T is great on the highway and off road. I know them well, I have owned 2 sets of these. If money isn't an issue, go with the KM2, they are a nice tire but $$$$$$$$...

Old 02-22-2009, 11:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

MTZs are great onroad and offroad.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Lots of rain, snow and ice where I live. I've found the best bang for the buck to be the Super Swamper TrXus MT. They are a true mud tire that has street manners like an all terrain. Quiet on the road, good siping so they're great on the ice and wide deep lugs are excellent in the mud and on the rocks.

Here's the company link http://intercotire.com/tires.php?id=11&g=1
Old 02-23-2009, 02:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been real happy with my Cooper Discoverer S/T's both on and off road. On road they are not too loud, have good siping and handle wet and sloppy roads very well, off-road they are still aggressive enough to give good traction and clean out fairly easily. I have found them to be a great compromise for a daily driver that still sees quite a bit of trail time.

Last edited by Jeepin Dad; 02-23-2009 at 05:02 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

pbungar, have you thought of this from a different perspective? Instead of an M/T with good road manners, why not an A/T with decent mud capability? I mean, are you going to be in the mud more than you will actually be on pavement? I have recently been looking at the Pro Comp Extreme A/T. Seems like it has good ratings all around. It will probably out last any M/T with proper rotation, and have better road manners doing it. It's just a thought.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 02-23-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have Mickey Thompson MTZ's Love em off and on road my jeep is my dd also. By looking at them you would never think there good on road but they are
Old 02-23-2009, 03:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm extremely happy with the Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrains.

Quick Reply: Best mud-terrain with on-road handling?