Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best lift and what makes it the best

Old 02-25-2012, 05:41 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icerk
What's the general opinion on the Clayton Lifts?
We offer a few different kits, from an entry level, premium kit, and our new long arm kits.

http://claytonoffroad.com/index.php/cPath/15_22

Which kit is "Best" will also depend on what you want to do with your JK.

We pride ourselves on our attension to detail, so that your not only happy with your lift kit when it first arrives, but 5 and 10 years down the road when it still functions the day you installed it.

And if your not sure which kit is right for you, or just want more details, please feel free to email or call us. We are always more then happy to go over all your suspension questions.

Adam
Clayton Off Road Inc.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the perfect lift depends on your demands, what terrain you wanna ride.

But I´ll continue with an additional question. What´s the best lift height ?
Higher is better for clearance and supension. But higher lifts will be followed but technical problems or additional changes. And probably won´t handle as good on higher speeds.
Most good shocks start at 3" lift. Some like the Bilsteins or King you also can get with smaller lifts.....

So which is the best lift height to choose ?
Maybe then you can think about the best lift kit in this height.

Last edited by MitchMG; 03-20-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am torn between Rock Krawler and Clayton now...... I want 3.5" of lift so I can run 35"s and upgrade to larger when I want. Any pros or cons with both lifts.

I plan on replacing both front and rear track bars. Will I need a Pitman arm. This is all new to me.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:07 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I am torn between Rock Krawler and Clayton now...... I want 3.5" of lift so I can run 35"s and upgrade to larger when I want. Any pros or cons with both lifts.

I plan on replacing both front and rear track bars. Will I need a Pitman arm. This is all new to me.
both are good kits that come pretty complete and you really can't go wrong with either. you shouldn't need a dropped pitman arm with just 3.5" of lift but, if you do install one, you will need to make sure to install a track bar relocation bracket at the same time. it is critical for proper steering geometry. also, i might recommend doing a drag link flip instead.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

I was told when I got my jeep that the best lift was procomp and Micky Thompson was the best tire lol. So me being the average consumer, I got pro comps top of the line 4" lift. My tires wore out in 6 months and my lift is considerably less than satisfactory. Point is, 4wp got me good. Businesses are exactly that. They will convince you to buy what they can make the most profit on. I expect my lift to be worth the money I spent. I spent almost 4k on a lift that got me $300 worth of performance. With that being said don't jump on the first lift in your price range just because some fan boy says its used by NASA.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:17 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Berzerker
I was told when I got my jeep that the best lift was procomp and Micky Thompson was the best tire lol. So me being the average consumer, I got pro comps top of the line 4" lift. My tires wore out in 6 months and my lift is considerably less than satisfactory. Point is, 4wp got me good. Businesses are exactly that. They will convince you to buy what they can make the most profit on. I expect my lift to be worth the money I spent. I spent almost 4k on a lift that got me $300 worth of performance. With that being said don't jump on the first lift in your price range just because some fan boy says its used by NASA.
wow, i rarely see anyone who's just spent upwards of $4k to tell it like it really is. afterall, that would require you to admit that you might have made a mistake. well, to you my friend, i applaude your brutal honesty and ability to learn from choices you have made. i do hope you are able to find a better solution and, if you need any help, please let me know as i would be more than happy to help out in anyway that i can.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife

wow, i rarely see anyone who's just spent upwards of $4k to tell it like it really is. afterall, that would require you to admit that you might have made a mistake. well, to you my friend, i applaude your brutal honesty and ability to learn from choices you have made. i do hope you are able to find a better solution and, if you need any help, please let me know as i would be more than happy to help out in anyway that i can.
Thanks Eddie, I will be getting a new jeep soon. I think I will be going with Mel's new kit. I'll hit you up on here or on way of life when I'm getting close. The goal is to be able to run with you guys by next year if at all possible. I have dreamt of Moab and Colorado since I was a boy.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:04 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Berzerker
Thanks Eddie, I will be getting a new jeep soon. I think I will be going with Mel's new kit. I'll hit you up on here or on way of life when I'm getting close. The goal is to be able to run with you guys by next year if at all possible. I have dreamt of Moab and Colorado since I was a boy.
well, i say this in all seriousness, if you can make it out, make sure you let us know. we would love to hook up with you if we can.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

The local 4wp store was pushing the RE lift. Saw it installed on customers rig and it looked sweet, but after reading some of the older reviews I started to turn away from it. Teraflex was high on my list but it seemed they stop at 3" lifts and then go to 4+ which require replacing driveshafts. Am I wrong on that with the Teraflex. I had traded some messages with them a few months back about their kits. Is it possible to run the 4" kit with out replacing the driveshaft. I have 2011 Sahara Unlimited.
Thanks for any and all input.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:18 PM
JK-Forum Founder

The local 4wp store was pushing the RE lift. Saw it installed on customers rig and it looked sweet, but after reading some of the older reviews I started to turn away from it. Teraflex was high on my list but it seemed they stop at 3" lifts and then go to 4+ which require replacing driveshafts. Am I wrong on that with the Teraflex. I had traded some messages with them a few months back about their kits. Is it possible to run the 4" kit with out replacing the driveshaft. I have 2011 Sahara Unlimited.
Thanks for any and all input.
RE went out of business and 4WP recently picked them up from the trash heap. needless to say, their sales guys push RE and any transamerica part (company that owns 4WP, 4WD, procomp, smittybilt and now RE) as they get nice bonuses if they make a sale.

if you were to run a 4" lift, you will need to replace your front shaft if you have an automatic. being that you have an unlimited, you will not need to replace the rear. 4" is a lot of lift though and unless you're planning to run 37's, i would stick with a 3" lift or there about.

Quick Reply: Best lift and what makes it the best