Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best lift and what makes it the best

Old 02-19-2012, 02:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think, given the quality kits available ,that there is a hands down "best brand". All I can say is buy a kit made in the U.S.A. Please don't support a company sending their work to China.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by livin

I live near a JK-Forum supporting vendor, and yes that is what they suggested. However I have been reading up on line on a ton of jeep forums and the general consensus is AEV. I called AEV along with a few other companies that I had at the top of my list. The reason I believe that the AEV kit might be the best choice for a jeep, is that AEV ONLY makes Jeep Stuff. They aren't making lift kits or parts for Ford, Chevy or any other make. Just Jeep!
It's a fallacy to suggest that AEV is good just because they only make parts for Jeeps. You can state material or structural advantages, but to say that they are better BECAUSE they only do jeeps is inherently false.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:58 PM
JK Freak

To clarify, I have nothing against AEV, as I said they were my third choice. But for the money, the teraflex and RK were just better from an engineering standpoint. I know the thread starter stated that money wasn't an issue, but paying more for less is dumb, even if you have the money. I've heard good things about the new EVO packages, but they didn't exist when I was evaluating lifts, so I have no personal input about them. Rough Country are garbage though, I'd definitely steer clear of those. I'm a metallurgical engineer for Caterpillar, just to give you an idea of the credentials behind my opinion.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Prime8
To clarify, I have nothing against AEV, as I said they were my third choice. But for the money, the teraflex and RK were just better from an engineering standpoint. I know the thread starter stated that money wasn't an issue, but paying more for less is dumb, even if you have the money. I've heard good things about the new EVO packages, but they didn't exist when I was evaluating lifts, so I have no personal input about them. Rough Country are garbage though, I'd definitely steer clear of those. I'm a metallurgical engineer for Caterpillar, just to give you an idea of the credentials behind my opinion.
I believe they're made in China, which would explain the crappy steel. I'm a machinist so I understand the lack of QC in Chinese steel.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:12 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Zifoid
I installed a 3.25" rough country and I hate it. I feel every bump in the road. I am currently shopping for a new kit. I have heard lots of good things about teraflex, rock Kraler and Offroad evolution. I am leaning toward the Offroad Evo enforcer kit due to the plush ride coils and Offroad evo sounds like a great shop. What do you guys think is the Offroad evo kit comparable to teraflex and Rock krawler?
See my above post. Also, I briefly checked out the EVO packages the other day and was pleasantly surprised. I will seriously consider them when I'm in the market again. They ARE more expensive, but they include more/better components. So its a toss up. If I was looking at lifts again though, I would focus on comparing EVO and RK, since one already ruled out most of the others. I love my RK 3.5, but I'm sure the jk tuned fox shox help too! Haha.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am not an AEV fan due to all the brackets they use in their lifts, If they did an arm kit then I'd probably like them much better. What gives them better road manners and its minimally if you do it to your other brand lifts is the steering flip kit and progressive rate coils, both of which help road manners. I chose the TF kit over EMU because of completeness of the kits. If I was to do it again I would have purchased the EVO enforcer kit, its everything needed and a little pricey but overall its engineering. I am however interested in hearing about how the new AEV 2.5 kit does, it seems like a good price point and knowing the time they put in I would think it would be top notch. Another post stated Full traction, another good kit, arms use clevite busing on both ends giving a noise free ride, stock like feedback with adjust ability. Rock Krawler again a very good set up, they use progressive rates in their 2.5 kit and specific rate coils in all their other lifts very nicely made as well. Another to throw out is the new JKS kits, not much feedback but I run JKS products and if it matches that quality, I am a believer. So in short any of the lifts mentioned are fantastic in their own right not one of these manufactures make a bad product. Good luck finding the best, its too judgemental and the best is only the one you decide on.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jim hensley
Ok keep em coming but focus on why it's the best in your opinion. Forget about price unless you think that is the reason it's the best. Why the extra parts in some of the lifts?
My Mopar 4.5 long arm had a bunch of extra parts. If you get on the AEV-Conversion website you can read in the frequently asked questions thread about WHY THEIR KITS DON"T HAVE A BUNCH OF EXTRA PARTS.

You can also log onto the AEV forum, and ask questions to guys running the lifts. You should also read the overview that AEV states about the Dual Sport SC lift kit. It sounds like just the right recipe to me!

I am going with an AEV 4.5 inch Dual Sport SC and 37's. I am curious to see the difference between the 09 JKU Rubicon on the 4.5 Mopar long arm and 37's vs the 2012 JKU Rubicon with AEV Dual Sport Sc 4.5 and the same exact 37's.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-19-2012, 03:56 PM
JK Super Freak

TeraFlex is the way to go and why.

1. The customer service provided by Joe at TeraFlex is hands down the best.
2. The ride quality on and off-road is excellent.
3. The kit you buy from TeraFlex will have everything you need where some companies leave out components you'll have to buy after you figure out what's missing.
4. I have the 4" and yes.......had to buy new driveshafts. Now the 3" kit which my buddy has works great with stock driveshafts and doesn't create the infamous pinion angle trouble with the front axle.
5. The control arms are bullet proof. The research and development team at TeraFlex definitely did their homework.
6. Did I mention the customer service that Joe provides!
Old 02-19-2012, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Xman4602

I believe they're made in China, which would explain the crappy steel. I'm a machinist so I understand the lack of QC in Chinese steel.
You're referring to the Rough Country steel? I took a heat-treating course a while back that focused on Chinese steel supplier evaluation. China is new to the steel industry, and therefore is having growing pains. They also lack much of old, recycled steel that we have. Very few Chinese foundries are up to US standards, and therefore unless you know the exact foundry and the exact specs of the customer, its best to just keep to domestic steels.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

Any reported bushing issues with the TF LCA's?

Quick Reply: Best lift and what makes it the best