Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best lift and what makes it the best

Old 02-19-2012, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best lift and what makes it the best

I did some semi serious wheeling for the first time this weekend and can see my current Jeep limitations as is. I am thinking of a 2&1/2 to 3" lift. I want to be able to run 35's but I need to fit in a parking garage and I won't want to have to purchase new driveshafts.

If you could but any lift regardless of price what would you buy and what makes a good lift good. Seems like the more expensive lifts that I have looked at seem to have better shocks and extra control arms or some gadgets I am not familiar with.

Sorry for the one more lift thread but I don't think I have seen anything that addresses some the additional items that come with some of the more expensive lifts and if they are worth the money on this size of a lift. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have heard a lot of good things about Rock Krawler. And they flex like nothing else :p that's more than likely wont I am going with when I get my lift in May. Granted they are a little bit more expensive . Another good lift is teraflex, full traction, and Old Man Emu. They all make great lift kits and you really cant go wrong with any of them.. Also, if your not wanting to buy new DS then your going to stay at 2.5in of lift, which will clear 35s.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

My only experience is with Mopar (Rubicon Express) 4.5 inch lift. It rode well, but the maintenance on it sucked. It liked to blow bushings.

I have been researching this very question and it seems to be that the AEV kit is the best all around kit. If you want SERIOUS flexing capablitlies you might want a full traction 4 link set up. I have heard good things about the Rockcrawler set ups too.. but the majority of EVERYONE I speak with claims to go for the AEV Dual Sport SC in a 3.5 or 4.5!

Good Luck!
Old 02-19-2012, 01:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the RK 3.5" Flex, which is upgradable to a more expensive kit later. If you want to get the most flex with the shortest lift (you said 3" max, although I doubt the extra .5" would cause a problem) add on some fender flares. They will give you a lot more clearance than the stock fenders. Look through Rock Krawlers site, they were the best engineered option, in my opinion.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by livin
My only experience is with Mopar (Rubicon Express) 4.5 inch lift. It rode well, but the maintenance on it sucked. It liked to blow bushings.

I have been researching this very question and it seems to be that the AEV kit is the best all around kit. If you want SERIOUS flexing capablitlies you might want a full traction 4 link set up. I have heard good things about the Rockcrawler set ups too.. but the majority of EVERYONE I speak with claims to go for the AEV Dual Sport SC in a 3.5 or 4.5!

Good Luck!
You must be near a shop that pushes AEV. Boone, NC has a high density of AEV because that's all the local shop pushes. Their kit was ranked three in my research after RK and Teraflex.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah. About AEV. I have heard they have the war on road ride. You really can't go wrong with them or any of the other lofts mentioned.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Prime8
You must be near a shop that pushes AEV. Boone, NC has a high density of AEV because that's all the local shop pushes. Their kit was ranked three in my research after RK and Teraflex.
I live near a JK-Forum supporting vendor, and yes that is what they suggested. However I have been reading up on line on a ton of jeep forums and the general consensus is AEV. I called AEV along with a few other companies that I had at the top of my list. The reason I believe that the AEV kit might be the best choice for a jeep, is that AEV ONLY makes Jeep Stuff. They aren't making lift kits or parts for Ford, Chevy or any other make. Just Jeep!

Last edited by livin; 02-19-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:44 PM
JK Super Freak

I put in a 2.5" teraflex coil lift. Love the lift but after the first wheeling trip I had grease slinging from the front DS boot. So even at 2.5" lift you may need driveshafts. I'm ordering a new front DS this week.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Lifts.

Ok keep em coming but focus on why it's the best in your opinion. Forget about price unless you think that is the reason it's the best. Why the extra parts in some of the lifts?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:54 PM
JK Newbie

I installed a 3.25" rough country and I hate it. I feel every bump in the road. I am currently shopping for a new kit. I have heard lots of good things about teraflex, rock Kraler and Offroad evolution. I am leaning toward the Offroad Evo enforcer kit due to the plush ride coils and Offroad evo sounds like a great shop. What do you guys think is the Offroad evo kit comparable to teraflex and Rock krawler?

Quick Reply: Best lift and what makes it the best