Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Gearing Combo w/ Ripp Kit for a 6 Speed Daily Driver?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Gearing Combo w/ Ripp Kit for a 6 Speed Daily Driver?

Driving a 6 speed manual in an 08 JKU and wondering how a supercharger will effect my regear. Will it be best paired with a 4.56 to get the best mileage as a daily driver but performance on inclines? Has anyone regeared AND thrown a supercharger on in a manual transmission? It's hard for me to wrap my head around how the supercharger will effect what gears to use. Maybe I supercharge it and then like my 373's? I have now idea.. I was told not to do both at the same time, but I'm not sure where to start. It sounds like 4.56 and RIPP may be the best combo and 4.88 and RIPP would be a high revving gas sucker. I'm just looking to get more power between 40 to 75 mph. It is slow off the start and I can deal with that but the worst for me is downshifting to 4th and sometimes 3rd on the highway to climb the grades here in Oregon!! I don't want to gear so that I lose a ton of top end either.. I plan on doing both if need be but am thinking I should start with gears? I have ARB Lockers to install so am likely gonna get them both done at once. Can anyone explain how the RIPP supercharger will effect my ideal choice in gearing please? Gracias
Old 05-09-2012, 10:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didn't mention what tire size you are or plan on running.

I regeared to 4.88 with 35s over 4 years ago and installed the Ripp gen2 kit last year. I feel it is a well matched system. The Ripp sc doesn't really kick in til higher rpms so the gearing helps. Rpms get a bit high over 70-75 mph but the power tradeoff is well worth it.

If i would have done gears and sc at the same time i may have done 4.56 but I'm very happy I had the 4.88s for those intervening 3 years.

08 6 speed. 35s, 4.88, Ripp Gen2 intercooled.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:21 AM
JK Newbie

That helps a TON! Thanks I'm running Nitto 35's and a 4" Superlift. That's what I'm wondering.. Since I plan on doing both around the same time I am thinking the 4.56's might be better suited. I understand they may not be ideal if you are only planning on regearing and not supercharging.. Good stuff!
Old 05-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ronstar83
That helps a TON! Thanks I'm running Nitto 35's and a 4" Superlift. That's what I'm wondering.. Since I plan on doing both around the same time I am thinking the 4.56's might be better suited. I understand they may not be ideal if you are only planning on regearing and not supercharging.. Good stuff!
Yes... 4:56 ARE PERFECT for a 6spd
Old 05-31-2012, 04:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Yes... 4:56 ARE PERFECT for a 6spd
What about 4:10?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Orko

What about 4:10?
4.10s (with 35s) are going to be great on the highway but you are going to have to downshift to get the rpms and boost up.

I took a road trip last week with my 4.88s and 35s and 75 mph is a good top cruising speed for me. So again, 4.56 and 35 tires is a great combo.

Quick Reply: Best Gearing Combo w/ Ripp Kit for a 6 Speed Daily Driver?