Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best front axel truss

Old 01-29-2012, 07:01 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wayoflife - this is a topic i've been very interested in. I want to run 37's on my JKUR but have been worried about my front housing. I'm not the type to beat on my rig and I take everything at idle unless I have to use the skinny. I plan on purchasing the Rock Krawler 3.5 short arm kit. Do you think I'll be ok?

I'm definitely going to upgrade the axles, but I wasn't sure about sleeves and truss.

Should I worry about the C's?

Thanks,
Old 01-29-2012, 07:16 PM
JK Freak

Unhappy

Originally Posted by therza
Curious, what do you think you will have to deal with on the trail - a broken axle tube? HIGHLY unlikely. A bent tube? Unlikely, but even if you do bend a tube, you can still drive it off the trail, and then some. You would have to REALLY bend the tube to cause an immediate breakdown. I follow the same priniciple - do things to minimize being stranded on a trail. A bent tube does not fall into the category. Hope that helps..........
There are those of us who would like to prevent bending a housing in the first place (proper welding, truss, C gussets/no bending), since it's not going to do me much good to put chromoly axles or RCV's in a bent housing I can't afford a Prorock 44 or 60 (must be some reason folks are upgrading to them... like bending an axle tube or C crawling in rocks) but I can afford to beef up a Rubi 44, with alloy axles coming either as I can afford them or break the factory stuff Feels like getting chastised for trying to go the extra mile, and that I do not understand
Old 01-29-2012, 07:44 PM
JK Newbie

I think 69mach1 brings up a good point(btw love the Mach, got a 69 in my garage too). We are all honestly scared of axel failure. As several have pointed out the chance of a tube failure is very small however, it's a significant one and nobody wants to risk it after seeing it happen to a few on here. It may be a mod that is 90% peace of mind but if that's what it takes then it might be worth it. It may take some more time for us to know more about this. However I am going to take the advice and start looking at stronger shafts too.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:06 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by WHLD_JKUR12
Wayoflife - this is a topic i've been very interested in. I want to run 37's on my JKUR but have been worried about my front housing. I'm not the type to beat on my rig and I take everything at idle unless I have to use the skinny. I plan on purchasing the Rock Krawler 3.5 short arm kit. Do you think I'll be ok?

I'm definitely going to upgrade the axles, but I wasn't sure about sleeves and truss.

Should I worry about the C's?

Thanks,
Here's a case and point. When's the last time you heard of anyone breaking an axle housing? Now, when's the last time you heard of an axle shaft breaking? Oh, that's right, about 7pm tonight:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t!-Need-advice!

The idea of breaking a housing sounds sensational and because of it, has a way of putting FUD or, fear, uncertainty and doubt into the hearts and minds of people who don't know any better. And, I suppose that's good for business as it FUD is always great when it comes to selling parts. Again, sleeves are cheap insurance and if you can afford them, it doesn't hurt to have but, experience has proven that housing breaks are the RARE exception and not the rule. And, axle breaks are a rule that you can count on. If you're gonna play with big tires, you'd be smart to address what we know breaks on the trail rather than jump to satisfy your fears, uncertainty and doubt. But, that's just me, what do i know.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:11 PM
JK Super Freak

I bent my driverside axle tube coming down off an obstacle. I was still mobile and only noticed it when airing up next day due to oil sprayed wheel well. I was able to drive 100miles or so on it (adding oil every few miles). I've been running 35s on a stock drivetrain and this has been my only issue. I've done a lot of "iffy" stuff where I feared a broken shaft or ujoint. I'm currently building up a Dana 30 since a chance at a R44 fell through. My focus is on the norm (gears, lockers) but after that for POM,
1-replace the axle shafts/UJ with strong ones.
2-tube/gusset the axle

I agree the moving parts are more prone to breaking, but also plan to address the possible bends.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Best front axel truss