Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best front axel truss

Old 01-28-2012, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best front axel truss

Ok so I have my 35son my Dana 44 and it's time to reinforce them so I don't become one of the unlucky ones. My ARB diff covers go on Monday night but, now it's time to give the tube some strength. I'm looking at the PureJeep backbone truss or the Rock Slide Engineering outer sleeve but can't decide which one to get. Any thoughts?

Last edited by gunnerdog; 01-29-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

OK let me try to get this going. Does anybody out there run the Pure Jeep back bone on their front axel and have you had any issues with it?
Old 01-29-2012, 02:39 PM
JK Junkie

From what ive read on here and also seen commented by Wayoflife - if a truss or any axle tube reinforcement isn't welded properly, it can actually WEAKEN your axle. Do some searching on it, the search button is your friend...

Hope you find what you're looking for...have heard some good things about the complete axle kit by PUREJEEP tho.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

I recently installed the purejeep kit. It fits perfect and snug. If your installing it just weld as they say to keep it from warping your housing.
Old 01-29-2012, 02:54 PM
JK Freak

Cool

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dana 44 truss 2.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	271864Click image for larger version

Name:	Dana 44 truss 3.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	271865Click image for larger version

Name:	Dana 44 truss 5.jpg
Views:	578
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	271866
Originally Posted by gunnerdog
OK let me try to get this going. Does anybody out there run the Pure Jeep back bone on their front axle and have you had any issues with it?
I'll let you know how it goes Hoping to install it in two weeks
Old 01-29-2012, 03:04 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok so I have my 35son my Dana 44 and it's time to reinforce them so I don't become one of the unlucky ones. My ARB diff covers go on Monday night but, now it's time to give the tube some strength. I'm looking at the PureJeep backbone truss or the Rock Slide Engineering outer sleeve but can't decide which one to get. Any thoughts?
unless you're planning on jumping your jeep, you really don't need to be trussing your axle and this is even if you're planning to run 37's. honestly, i really don't understand why there is sooooooo much hype over trussing axles. out of the hundreds of thousands of JK's out there, most of which are NOT running any reinforcement what so ever, only about a dozen or so have actually had axle housing break. and, for whever it's worth, i have personally been present when 3 of those occured. yes, sleeves are good cheap insurance but, as mentioned, trussing can and often does CAUSE housing to bend. but, what do i know.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:52 PM
JK Newbie

I have researched the crap out of this topic but, can still learn more. WOL I read your recent post about the truss/sleeve craze that has developed recently. I guess I am going with the cheap insurance plan. If something can happen then it will happen to me and since I don't trust my dealership to support me and I don't want to have to deal with this on the trail, I figured I would take the extra effort to be safe. I appreciate everybody's input and experience. Glad to be part of the family created here.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:02 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I have researched the crap out of this topic but, can still learn more. WOL I read your recent post about the truss/sleeve craze that has developed recently. I guess I am going with the cheap insurance plan. If something can happen then it will happen to me and since I don't trust my dealership to support me and I don't want to have to deal with this on the trail, I figured I would take the extra effort to be safe. I appreciate everybody's input and experience. Glad to be part of the family created here.
well, i hope you didn't misunderstand my post as i do think that sleeves are great cheap insurance. if you've got the cash, you should get them installed. the only point i've been trying to make is that you are so much more likely to break an axle shaft then even bend an axle tube let alone break it. the fact that everyone is going around saying that you "NEED" to sleeve your axle housing if you want to run bigger tires but then say NOTHING about axle shafts just leaves me scratching my head. that's the problem with hype - everyone picks up on it and assumes that it must be true. IF nothing else, i would say to install new chromoly axle shafts BEFORE you start thinking about sleeves. if you can afford to do both, you should.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

since I don't trust my dealership to support me and I don't want to have to deal with this on the trail, I figured I would take the extra effort to be safe.
Curious, what do you think you will have to deal with on the trail - a broken axle tube? HIGHLY unlikely. A bent tube? Unlikely, but even if you do bend a tube, you can still drive it off the trail, and then some. You would have to REALLY bend the tube to cause an immediate breakdown. I follow the same priniciple - do things to minimize being stranded on a trail. A bent tube does not fall into the category. Hope that helps..........
Old 01-29-2012, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disregard found the info in another thread..

Last edited by OverlandJKU; 01-29-2012 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Best front axel truss