Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Exhaust for the Money <$200

Old 12-15-2007, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Exhaust for the Money <$200

I'm the market for an exhaust upgrade and I would like to know what everybody is running and what you all think is a best buy. Less than $200 My criteria is that I want to move the location of the muffler; easily done by a muffler shop but a smaller muffler is preferred. And I would like it to be the usual louder but without the ricer influence. I have seen a video on youtube with a flowmaster 50series and it sounded pretty good. I also heard/saw a 40series flowmaster and it was ok but the location was still in the back.

Thanks
Old 12-15-2007, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 50 series

I'm having my 50 series installed on Tues. If having in the original location beecomes an issue I will skidd pate it. I chose the 50 series after talking to the shop owner who is very well respected in the area. He told me that the 40 series or Flowmasters hushmaster or the delta series would not be a good choice for my 4door unless I didn't mind alot of interior resonence. I want to have a good sounding rig with some better breathing upgrades but It's my daily driver with kids so I din't want it to be too loud.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie

Love my Magnaflow...$145 installed at my muffler shop! Sounds good ,tucks up out of the way nicely.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the flowmaster 50 series installed in the stock location, but tucked up a bit higher. You will be suprised how small the muffler actually is compared to the stock one. It sounds great, nice low rumble and not overbearing at higher speeds. You wont be disappointed.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default power changes?

Any one have any power losses. I just read a thread that one of us has experienced - power after the new "performance" muffler was added even after a CAI.... WTF I'm wondering why there are some conflicting reports.
If you have a performance muffler and a CAI let me know what you think. Please. I'm having my muffler installed TUES and planned on ordering and Airaid shortly after that.
Thanks
Old 12-16-2007, 12:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 40 series, not too loud in my opinion, performance seemed better after installing an airaid about a week later. Also my MPG went up 2mpgs after airaid install, no mpg increase with just 40 muffler just sound.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:08 PM
JK Jedi Master

My 40 was $190 installed in stock location. I think some of the people having trouble may be installing a whole new system minus cats. The 4dr jk has 4 catilytic converters on it , seems like it would have plenty of backpressure even if you ran a srtaight pipe cat-back. Don't think you'll have probs with just a muffler.
Old 12-16-2007, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Magnaflow stainless #11226 that I got off ebay for $65
I installed it myself in the relocated spot under the driver side of the Jeep.
Its real simple to cut a section out of the stock stainless pipe and slip in the new muffler.
I also re-installed the factory heat shield above the muffler in the new location.
Then in the rear, I cut the pipe just before the factory smashed spot above the rear axle.
Then I took the Jeep to a muffler shop and had them bend a tail pipe and slip it on for $60.
I love the way it sounds....Ive owned about 10 vehicles now with aftermarket exhausts and this is the first time Ive been truly happy with one.
At idle its just loud enough to tell it has something aftermarket, at highway speed you cant even hear its there,
then just accelerate or mash the gas and you know it has something going on!
I didnt loose any performance at all, I think it may have gain some if anything.
Then I added the Airaid intake and it got even better.
I have a whole stainless system, no smashed spots, mandrel bends and all for $125

Here are some pics...

Old 12-16-2007, 02:44 PM
JK Jedi Master

Damn, that's a clean undercarraige, even your drive shaft sticker is clean
Nice mod by the way!
Old 12-16-2007, 02:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Eracer76 do you have a pic of the back of Jeep from like 5+ feet away? I kind want to see what the back looks like now without the muffler there.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Best Exhaust for the Money <$200