Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best exhaust?

Old 02-22-2010, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Magnaflow 18x4

Sound:A bit of growl when shortshifting under 2000 RPM's but some droning at hwy speeds 55-65mph/90-110km/h (22-2400 RPM's).

Nothing overly annoying, one can still carry a conversation or drown out the exhaust note with the stock stereo at 15-20 indicated levels. If you gnash down on the loud pedal, well you're instantaneously rewarded with an Unholy mating call of the John Deere/Massey Fergusson Kind. Any thoughts that you were driving a "performance" machine will be removed spontaneoulsy, and this will remind you...THIS IS A JEEP, THIS IS A JEEP, THIS IS A JEEP.

I've retained the Evap Can in it's stock location, there's about 2-3inches space between the Can and Exhaust, which is similar to the stock config without the Magnaflow in place.

Overall expenditure: Approx 240$ CAD
Overall Feeling: No Power loss felt, nothing felt gained. Just "firmer shift points" hints with the tone of the exhaust.

Would I recommend? Sure, it's bearable, but one's definition of bearable is broad. It's definitively not "ricer" although more agricultural then muscle, it's better then the politically correct stock can.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:24 PM
JK Junkie

I like my Magnaflow.....I think it free's up a bit of power, but the intake superchip, gears, and exhaust all make a huge difference together.....

I went with aftermarket mostly for a different sound.....Here's a clip of what the Magnaflow sounds like.....taken today.....I live it.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:53 PM
JK Newbie

I also went with a magnaflow and relocated it. i noticed a small increase in power but i to as many others have a K&N CAI. my next mod will be a flashpack. great sounding muffler. check out you tube and search for jk exhaust sounds. it helped me.

Last edited by Tx Rubicon; 02-22-2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmacJK
Ok...

Great reponses.

So as i sit here looking at the MBRP website I see this:

4 different types of exhaust ranging from 350-510$ and I think to myself.....

if all tat REALLY changes is sound.. why are there higher priced options? That is confusing..
They are different materials, one is aluminized stainless steel and the other is 409 gauge stainless steel which is a much higher quality material
Old 03-22-2010, 06:08 PM
JK Freak

One more word here. My JK is currently having some advanced tuning done by the ASE mechanics at eurotrix.com. It is sitting in a garage surrounded by racing Porsches! The mechanics knew of two of my mods, the Vortec supercharger from Ripps and the MBRP exhaust systems. They have had it for 5 days and they can't keep their hands off it (putting miles on it to check fuel maps etc). If I wasn't already sold out on MBRP I would be now.

Quick Reply: Best exhaust?