Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best exhaust?

Old 02-22-2010, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put the MBRP off road stainless on my 2010 and I love it. it has good sound and IMHO a little more power. I cant say if there was an increase in MPG because I find myself using the thortle a little more than before. I think that once the newness wears off I will do the calculations.
Got mine from Northridge at the best price.
I cant wait for superchips to come out with the pac for the 2010's so i can get one to really see the increase in power.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:13 AM
JK Jedi Master

its the different stainless options they use in the kits, ask MBRP.

The one thing I would like to change is the muffler location, thats a big plus for offroading.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I went the Flowmaster route as well, a 50 series SUV. Sound is great, little rumble at idle, sounds throatier, during acceleration from outside, cannot, repeat cannot, notice a difference from inside!!
I felt maybe a slight bit of gain in lowend, and a little better throttle response, but not much. This was in addition to the flashpak, and intake. Total cost was 110 for the muffler, and 30 bucks to have it put on!!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:16 AM
JK Freak

I'm a huge fan of MBRP but i'm not biased towards them. My stepfather swears by them when it comes to his diesel trucks so I went with the MBRP SS Catback in the stock location. It's one of the only mods i've made so far and I absolutely love it, great sound, no drone and yes they do increase power even if it is just a little bit. On that note I also like the Dynomax systems, never had one but i've seen and heard one and they're pretty nice, IMO tho MBRP is the best bang for your buck when it comes down to it. Check out Northridge 4x4 if you decide to get one Dave might be able to hook you up with a really good deal.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:42 AM
JK Newbie

Default Gibson catback

I went with Gibson and love the sound, it's a split catback so it looks great too. Reportedly bumps up the horse but it's hard to tell as I also put in a TBS and intake.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:19 PM
PAS
JK Newbie

I installed a Magna flow about a year ago now. The install was uber easy and it sounds good. My only complaint would be that the Muffler is already starting to show rust and it's suppose to be SS. I haven't called them yet but still disappointing even though they claim a lifetime warranty on it.

I'm sure that all the exhausts are good and imo there was a noticeable difference in hp. After my install there is this long stretch of hwy that I would need to downshift all the time, now it's only once in a while. I also have an AEM CAI which im sure helps with the exhaust. The more it breaths in the more it need to breath out.

Does anyone know if Magna flow make it to events like EJS?
Old 02-22-2010, 04:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mmacJK
So no performance increase of anykind just a throaty sound?

Is that really all the exhaust upgrades offer?
On a stock motor you get a better sound, on a worked motor, you pick up a few extra HP
Old 02-22-2010, 05:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

About dyno claims that are 10hp or so...I'm not saying this company did this, but let me tell you what a friend and I did at a shop in Houston one time in the summer. We drove the car to the dyno running the piss out of it getting the engine (turbo) as hot as we could, drove it into the dyno, and made 3 pulls at noon with ambient temps in the high 90's. They were all within spec of a stock car however on the low side. Then we taped a penny to the intake, on the outside, let the car cool and the temps fall. At 7pm we dynoed the car again. Magically all three pulls showed a minimum gain of 8-12hp. The only change to the car was a penny taped to the intake. Did the penny make 8-12hp on the car (stock the car made 150hp?) So while they can claim hp numbers which can be "legit" until I see indepenant numbers run by multiple shops I'll keep my choices not by power, but personal preference, customer service and price.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
The best exhaust system is whatever works for you. In my case, I have a friend who owns a muffler shop. He bend up a very nice custom cat back for me using a round straight through Magnaflow muffler. Did a very professional job at a very reasonable cost. However, for off the shelf ready made parts, I think right now MBRP has the market cornered. Great product, more than one type system to choose from, great customer service and reasonable pricing. Hard to beat that combination. Commercial over now.
RedneckJeep is right. It's whatever works for you. I do have the MBRP Off Road Exhaust on my 4 door. Great sound, and it DID give back some power and a little better mileage as I have 35's on my ride. Commerical over X2
Old 02-22-2010, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

I did a Banks cat back system and I love it. Sounds great and noticed a slight power increase.

Quick Reply: Best exhaust?