Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best equipment/practices for airing down

Old 02-04-2013, 01:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brightwhite
The mil-spec looks nice! That seems to be much easier to adjust than the stauns too
Yes, it is. You push the top knob, twist it to any of the marked pressures, and let it go up into the slot.

To save time, I screw on 3 Stauns, pre-set to 20 psi. (or all 4 if I want 20 psi)
When I want less than 20 psi, the 4th tire gets the Multi Choice Deflator.
When the 'Multi' has finished, the 3 others are already aired down most of the way.
The Multi is then used to finish the airing down of the other tires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Deflators 001.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	418263

It's not clear in the picture, but the selected psi is visible though the cover, in this case it is set to 18 psi:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Deflators 002.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	418264

Last edited by GJeep; 02-04-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered a set of Staun deflators from 4 Wheel Parts and they do a good job. Well 3 of them do. The 4th came damaged, had a flat spot and can't rotate the knob to adjust the pressure. I spoke with customer service and emailed a photo. The short side of a long story is they will not replace the damaged one. I will never do business with then again !!!
Old 02-05-2013, 11:03 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jkbarnett
I ordered a set of Staun deflators from 4 Wheel Parts and they do a good job. Well 3 of them do. The 4th came damaged, had a flat spot and can't rotate the knob to adjust the pressure. I spoke with customer service and emailed a photo. The short side of a long story is they will not replace the damaged one. I will never do business with then again !!!
Try to contact the head of the customer service dept., or someone at the management level...

Last edited by GJeep; 02-05-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeeping4Fun
I custom made a 4 in 1 hose assembly with gauge and ball valve to do all tires up and down. Works really well.

All the tires flow to one location where I can fill or release air from. I will get some photos and details of what I used and how I would do a couple things differently tomorrow as I am away from my jeep today. Jeepswag had one a little while back. There is a link below to a video that I just found. They were charging $90 for it and my bright self thought I would build one for half that. Ya was I wrong. $150 later I got it all done. I do like how it turned out though and works great. I can tell you that I just ordered staun auto tire deflators and will use those no for airing down but will use my 4 in 1 for airing up. To easy to just screw on four little fittings.
Now that's something I'd love to see how you did it...saw one that somebody did once on a Toyota forum but would love to see a write up here...I'm sure there might be others interested as well! Currently using Stauns for the past 4 years and it's time for a change!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dynatrac
Once you use RADs you'll never want anything else.
Rimrock Mountain Supply | Products
Attachment 418133
I like this idea except for the part about drilling an extra hole in the wheels...

Plus, this would be good to do when you buy your wheels (before mounting). Otherwise, you'd have to have your tires un-mounted and mounted again.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by suicideking
I like this idea except for the part about drilling an extra hole in the wheels...

Plus, this would be good to do when you buy your wheels (before mounting). Otherwise, you'd have to have your tires un-mounted and mounted again.
Having a second valve stem means you can monitor the air as it deflates (using a low pressure gauge). Drilling the second hole was easy and stress free. I can air down from 30 to 7 psi, all four, in about 4 mins. What I really like is being able to do is adjust pressure during the day. I feel that air pressure is crucial in some areas. As the day heats up (or an elevation change) your tire pressure can rise. You can go from 7 to 10 very quickly. In some areas it matters and my old deflators wouldn't trigger at lower pressures.

Yes, you'll want to do it before you mount up tires.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:04 PM
JK Junkie

I custom made a 4 in 1 hose assembly with gauge and ball valve to do all tires up and down. Works really well.
Originally Posted by sm_rubi
Now that's something I'd love to see how you did it.....
The maximum air flow from the compressor is determined by the compressors' specs.
Spreading the flow to 4 tires doesn't increase the compressors' flow rate, so there's no time gain.
The overall pipe length of a 4-tire assembly is longer than a single pipe. Longer pipes means more resistance, which reduces the flow rate.
'T' connections create resistance, and reduce the flow rate yet more.

If we inflate one tire at a time, we connect and disconnect each of the 4 tires.
If we inflate the 4 tires at once, we still have to connect and disconnect each of the 4 tires, and then disconnect the harness itself, and re-assemble it again the next time...

I don't see any advantage.
I see only disadvantages, unnecessary complication, and more potential leak points.

Do I miss something ?

Last edited by GJeep; 02-05-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
The maximum air flow from the compressor is determined by the compressors' specs.
Spreading the flow to 4 tires doesn't increase the compressors' flow rate, so there's no time gain.
The overall pipe length of a 4-tire assembly is longer than a single pipe. Longer pipes means more resistance, which reduces the flow rate.
'T' connections create resistance, and reduce the flow rate yet more.

If we inflate one tire at a time, that's connecting and disconnecting 4 times.
If we inflate the 4 tires at once, we still have to connect and disconnect 4 times.

I don't see any advantage, I see only disadvantages. Do I miss something?
You are correct that you have to connect four and disconnect four to air up but other than that you are letting out air on four tires at the same rate and the same time as well as airing up that way. Stauns do that but are not maintenance free because the collar get loose (especially if you let others barrow them to air down). So I guess the real advantage is watching the gauge once instead of four times for airing up. And for airing down less advantage when compared to things like Stauns but more with some of the other deflaters because you only have to do it once. I saw Brett (JeepSwag) do it once with his two tire set up and it was pretty cool. Just my
Old 02-05-2013, 01:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a Staun user here -- I set and forget them at 11psi. (beach use).
Old 02-05-2013, 01:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Staun's, Best 70 bucks I've spent on the jeep. Screw them on and then walk over to newbie and work on convincing them that they really do want to air down. Have them set for 12#, used some blue Loctite to keep them there. If I want to go lower it's easy to finish up with my low pressure gauge.

Quick Reply: Best equipment/practices for airing down