Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best equipment/practices for airing down

Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found they stick constantly. I gave them away after 2 uses. I also have built a custom 4 hose contraption that works quite well but now that I have the arb deflator and the twin arb compressor I don't know that I'll bother bringing the hose any more.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 AM
JK Freak

Just buy the $75 stauns and be done with it. They are easy to set, they stay set where you put them. Don't go cheap and get the Smittybilt copies, they are trash and won't stop where they're set. With the stauns, you simply screw them onto the stems and BS with your Wheelin buddies for a few, remove them and wheel! I've seen a couple of times where the curries get the valve core cross threaded and its a mess.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:54 AM
JK Super Freak

I use the currie version, will never use anything else. The ARB valve is the same thing.

Don't thing a 4 way valve will be faster. If you use the ARB or Currie, it lets the air out so fast, you wouldn't have time to do two tires at once unless you have a helper. I go from 30 psi to 12 in about a minute or two. You literally can't take your eyes off it or you'll end up at 0 psi.

I originally bought the valve stems. HATED them. They work when they're calibrated perfectly, but would always get out of calibration. I would have one tire aired down correctly to 12 psi, one that's at 25 psi, and one at 0 psi...

Get the currie or the arb. Don't waste your time or money with anything else.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Brightwhite
This is what I am interested in. Do you have regulators on all 4 tires, or one central regulator, or is it even regulated at all to stop airing up/down?

I'm full of questions... Do you have a write up on what you did, or can you describe in detail here with pics?
All the tires flow to one location where I can fill or release air from. I will get some photos and details of what I used and how I would do a couple things differently tomorrow as I am away from my jeep today. Jeepswag had one a little while back. There is a link below to a video that I just found. They were charging $90 for it and my bright self thought I would build one for half that. Ya was I wrong. $150 later I got it all done. I do like how it turned out though and works great. I can tell you that I just ordered staun auto tire deflators and will use those no for airing down but will use my 4 in 1 for airing up. To easy to just screw on four little fittings.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the Stauns and a Currie deflator. When its cold, or at a park, I put the Stauns on..check in and pay..come back out and take them off...aired down and then disconnect. I always keep the Currie one under the seat so that when I am with a larger group or at an event, I put the Stauns on mine and use the Currie to help other deflate and help show some of the "newbies" on how to deflate and help them get ready to roll so that we aren't sitting around waiting for that one person to get ready. Stauns are easy to set using a bicycle tire(easy to air up, down and quick).
Old 02-03-2013, 09:46 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by MarvinMWJT
I have the Stauns and a Currie deflator. When its cold, or at a park, I put the Stauns on..check in and pay..come back out and take them off...aired down and then disconnect. I always keep the Currie one under the seat so that when I am with a larger group or at an event, I put the Stauns on mine and use the Currie to help other deflate and help show some of the "newbies" on how to deflate and help them get ready to roll so that we aren't sitting around waiting for that one person to get ready. Stauns are easy to set using a bicycle tire(easy to air up, down and quick).
Bicycle tire is a good idea, I built thus to set them:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3455488034.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	417785  
Old 02-04-2013, 06:40 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Once you use RADs you'll never want anything else.
Rimrock Mountain Supply | Products
Click image for larger version

Name:	RAD-1-notsoldout.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	418133
Old 02-04-2013, 08:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The pre-set type deflators like the Staun, deflate to only one pre-set pressure, while I use between ~15 and ~25 psi, according to the terrain and speed.

I thought of a "one for all harness", but rejected the idea because 1) It is cumbersome to operate and to store, and 2) Long pipes and 'T' connections reduce air flow.

I use the Mil-Spec Multi Choice Deflator- Standard Series, by Extremeoutback.
Easy choice of 10,12,14,16,18 or 20 psi.

They also have a lower range model, for 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 or 12 psi.

Last edited by GJeep; 02-04-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GJeep
The pre-set type deflators like the Staun, deflate to only one pre-set pressure, while I use between ~15 and ~25 psi, according to the terrain and speed.

I thought of a "one for all harness", but rejected the idea because 1) It is cumbersome to operate and to store, and 2) Long pipes and 'T' connections reduce air flow.

I use the Mil-Spec Multi Choice Deflator- Standard Series, by Extremeoutback.
Easy choice of 10,12,14,16,18 or 20 psi.

They also have a lower range model, for 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 or 12 psi.
The mil-spec looks nice! That seems to be much easier to adjust than the stauns too
Old 02-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Orw deflator same as ARB again as stated nothing like pulling the valve core....stain is nice you put them on and walk away, the core removal is quick but you have to stay there...I've looked at both and I'll take the core removal method

Quick Reply: Best equipment/practices for airing down