Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Direction on Rear Axle /Coilovers

Old 11-23-2015, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn!!! This is some seriously good info!

I believe you have all convinced me that the rear coilovers, and a D60 is not worth getting!!!

Sounds like the consensus is stick with the rear coil springs, stock JK 44, upgrade the shafts, and go with a locker if I feel necessary...

And proceed to bow money elsewhere!!!! Lol...SLABS???
Old 11-23-2015, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by devwil68

I believe you have all convinced me that the rear coilovers, and a D60 is not worth getting!!!

Sounds like the consensus is stick with the rear coil springs, stock JK 44, upgrade the shafts, and go with a locker if I feel necessary...

I have the offroad evolution rear cantiliver and so far i really like it. Just another option for rear coilovers if you want a more simple route.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeper52

I have the offroad evolution rear cantiliver and so far i really like it. Just another option for rear coilovers if you want a more simple route.
Cantilever is most likely even more. Especially seen as you have to typically get bypass with it to keep up with the cooling seen as they run alot smaller coilovers. Alot more moving parts but yes the coilovers are tucked away safely. Not much "simple" about cantilever other than theres a kit for one. No on else offers one.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maertz
Cantilever is most likely even more. Especially seen as you have to typically get bypass with it to keep up with the cooling seen as they run alot smaller coilovers. Alot more moving parts but yes the coilovers are tucked away safely. Not much "simple" about cantilever other than theres a kit for one. No on else offers one.
Yeah i would agree with that. Its a complex system but its fairly straight to install. The only thing i dont like about it is it has a fair amout of rear steer.
Old 11-23-2015, 07:13 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by devwil68

Nobody NEEDS most of this stuff, it's a great forum because you people from all over the country and internationally as well

I would call lockers necessary more so than much of the other things mentioned...

Lockers were the single biggest off-road performance related change that I made

Then you can hear about all the options for lockers

Matthew
Old 11-24-2015, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in the same boat, 37s, PR44 front, and in the market for a 60 rear. I tried approaching from all angles, and no matter how you slice it, its gonna cost a whole lot of upfront money to swap the rear to a Full float 60, even if you go with the Spicer ultimate 60. (you're gonna need the front axle as well, and new wheels). Running adapters up front temporarily isn't really an option because they'd require a 2.5" adapter to 8 lug on top of 3.5" backspaced wheels giving you 1.5" backspacing up front.
You're really just gonna have to wait and save ~13-14k at least, or if you have the time, and your jeep isn't your daily driver, you can build out junkyard axles.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:35 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mistasparkl
I'm in the same boat, 37s, PR44 front, and in the market for a 60 rear. I tried approaching from all angles, and no matter how you slice it, its gonna cost a whole lot of upfront money to swap the rear to a Full float 60, even if you go with the Spicer ultimate 60. (you're gonna need the front axle as well, and new wheels). Running adapters up front temporarily isn't really an option because they'd require a 2.5" adapter to 8 lug on top of 3.5" backspaced wheels giving you 1.5" backspacing up front.
You're really just gonna have to wait and save ~13-14k at least, or if you have the time, and your jeep isn't your daily driver, you can build out junkyard axles.
What wrong with different backspacings? I run a wider front than rear and have no complaints. It helps steering and if my front fits I know damn well my rear will.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

What wrong with different backspacings? I run a wider front than rear and have no complaints. It helps steering and if my front fits I know damn well my rear will.

"Different" backspacing isn't the issue. A TOTAL net backspacing of 1.5" up front is probably not a good idea.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:57 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by mistasparkl

"Different" backspacing isn't the issue. A TOTAL net backspacing of 1.5" up front is probably not a good idea.
Thats exactly what i have front and rear. While its not ideal it shouldn't be a huge deal on a d60.

Last edited by Maertz; 11-24-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thats exactly what i have front and rear. While its not ideal it shouldn't be a huge deal on a d60.
It'll be on a 44--not a 60. I was going thru the possible scenario of just getting a rear 60, while keeping the front 44 with adapters until he could upgrade the front as well. My advice being to to just save and get both front and rear d60s at the same time instead of running 1.5" backspacing on D44 balljoints and unit bearings.

Quick Reply: Best Direction on Rear Axle /Coilovers