Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best daily driver mud tire for jk?????

Old 11-15-2010, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the Army and deployed to Iraq now as a scout - essentially I ride around in trucks on and off road all day for a living. We use 37in Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar and BFG Bajas. They work great on concrete and sand. My mechanics like em. I bought the KM2s for my Rubicon because I got a deal on em, but the MT/Rs are also great. Go with the best price out the door.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm really happy with the Cooper STT. They are on my daily driver.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:48 PM
JK Freak

Default Toyo

Good luck, it's like buying Nike or Adidas, it's kind of up to you and what fits you best. Just don't buy the Karl Malone Yellow and Gold LA Gear or you'll really be screwed!

I'm a TOYO fan... I have been running TOYO M/T's for 35,000 miles and I love them. Don't seem to have worn down that much, but hey, they're an M/T on a DD so you have to expect some wear.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by knightrohulk
What about toyo open country mt?
Originally Posted by whpony96
NO they wear down FAST!

Best DD mud tire is the Goodyear MT\R w Kevlar.. The wear down slow. Nice and quiet on the street works like magic on the snow and ice. Great traction in the mud and thanks to the Kevlar less to worry about on the rocks.
Do you have any first hand evidence to back this up?

I've got 15,000 miles on my Toyos and they still look next to new. Most of the guys in my neck of the woods can easily get 40 to 50 thousand miles on a set of Toyo MT's on a Jeep if they're being rotated regularly and run at the correct pressure.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'd go with the MT/R's with or w/o kevlar if you're absolutely set on MT's but before you go that far -- take a look at Wrangler's DuraTrac's -- Awesomely aggressive ATs.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jonbellemore
I'd go with the MT/R's with or w/o kevlar if you're absolutely set on MT's but before you go that far -- take a look at Wrangler's DuraTrac's -- Awesomely aggressive ATs.
Duratracs are great tires. I have a set for winter use, and they're outstanding on icy highways and work well on icy trails too

But they're not a real MT. They only manage about 80% of the mud performance that my Toyos provide, and they don't have the same lateral (sidehill) stability in deeper snow that good MT's provide.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by cameron7
Hello i am just wondering what would be the best daily driver tire for my jk on 35s.
i do some mudding and a little bit of crawling so i was thinking about the km2?
let me know
thanks cameron
I run Nitto Trail grapplers and love um.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by whpony96
NO they wear down FAST!

Best DD mud tire is the Goodyear MT\R w Kevlar.. The wear down slow. Nice and quiet on the street works like magic on the snow and ice. Great traction in the mud and thanks to the Kevlar less to worry about on the rocks.
I have the 37" goodyear mt/r's with kevlar and it is a very rough ride even at low tire pressure I am going to switch tires ver soon and I just got the kevlars. I would go with an aggressive all terrain or a ProComp which seems to be a little softer. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

I'm running 35x12.50r17 KM2's @ 30 PSI on my DD (50 miles a day) and haven't had any regrets in tire choice.

I only have a few hundred miles on them though, that may change as I get into the 20-25k range!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:46 AM
JK Junkie

Pro Comp Xterrains always did me good on the milage and the mud/trails.

I had almost 35,000kms on them when I sold them and they had maybe 40% wear. I would buy them again in a heartbeat if my Jeep was to see alot of hwy miles.

Quick Reply: Best daily driver mud tire for jk?????