Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best daily driver mud tire for jk?????

Old 11-15-2010, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about toyo open country mt?
Old 11-15-2010, 08:01 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by knightrohulk
What about toyo open country mt?
NO they wear down FAST!

Best DD mud tire is the Goodyear MT\R w Kevlar.. The wear down slow. Nice and quiet on the street works like magic on the snow and ice. Great traction in the mud and thanks to the Kevlar less to worry about on the rocks.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:22 AM
JK Newbie

I'm having good luck with my Pro Comp Xtreme MT's. Got 20K miles on them and they're still quiet on road and a whole buncha tread left.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

27k on my STT's and TONS of tread left. I'm not a mudder by any means but when i have used them i have no complaints, cleaned out well. Work good in the snow & ice also. at 12.5" they tend to float a little on packed snow but if your smart with your speed they go through anything i have tried.
Old 11-15-2010, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

It seems to me that the two most popular MTs are either MTR/Ks or KM2. More people seem to run those than any other tires. Both are great tires and quiet on the road. I chose the KM2 over the MTR/K after talking to a few different tire sellers and installers. Most of them felt like the KM2 was easier to balance and keep balanced. I know that Discount Tire was able to balance my 35" KM2's the first try and my Jeep rides smoothly at all speeds. If you search this forum you will find quite a few posts with people complaining that they can't seem to get their MTR/Ks balanced. Just my opinion...
Old 11-15-2010, 11:01 AM
JK Freak

Well, I have over 40k on my toyos, not sure I would call that wearing down fast. I have liked them but find the traction on snow/ice to be worse than other mt's I have tried. They are really heavy though.

I think by spring or summer I will need new tires (10-20k more miles). I am going to try the km2 or Cooper this time and see how they work.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

I have 20k on my toyo mts and I love them. Their not real loud, wear great, look and perform awesome. Only complaint is the price. They do not wear down fast at all, mine still look almost brand new.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:08 AM
JK Junkie

I have heard nothing but good stuff about Cooper STT. I am considering it for a 35 when my Duratracs wear down. A lot of people in Buffalo (city of snow) seem to run the STT.

Don't dismiss the Duratrac. It may not be a mud terrain, but it gets me where I need to go.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:18 AM
JK Freak

Cepek mud country are a great mud/road manners tires. Tough as nails on the trails an surprisingly quite on the road. I have had mine for over 2 years and have taken road trips from RI to NC twice with them to attend Trail rides, never an issue. Just keep them rotated often and they will last.
Old 11-15-2010, 11:25 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I loved my Cooper Stt's. Rode and wore really well. I have Toyo's now, great tire, tough as nails, but the ride is a bit harsh for me. When these wear out, going back to Coopers.
The Coopers do chunk pretty easily in rocks though. But being as that I only see rocks a couple times a year, not that big a deal.

Quick Reply: Best daily driver mud tire for jk?????