Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

The best "daily driver" lift

Old 01-12-2011, 01:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karben276
Well, budget isn't really an issue, I just want it to be an appropriate lift for mostly road driving.... I have a 4 door auto 2011 sahara.
other costs....You may want to factor in a front axle upgrade or reinforcement for those 37's, a gear swap, and a rear bumper and tire carrier to hold that larger/heavier spare....along with your lift and new drive shafts that is
Old 01-12-2011, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

im looking to buy an 2011 2 door,,, i want to run 40's,,
wayoflife,, what would you suggest i get to accomplish this,,it will be a daily driver but i also do a lot of offroading as well here in the midwest,, i realize ill need dana 60's, 5:38 gears,,,but i have no clue on what lift to get,,,any advise will be helpful
Old 01-12-2011, 11:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
sure, i've personally installed and run a teraflex 2.5", full-traction 3" ultimate lift, a teraflex 4" flex arm lift, OME HD lift, OME HD +40 lift, off road evolution short arm coil overs and off road evolution long arm kit with 14" coil overs. this is to say nothing of the various other lifts i have personally installed and tested on other jk's. having said all that, if you're only planning on running 33's, i would just install them can call it a day. sure, you will have some minor rubbing but not enough to really matter and, if you want to address them, simply install a leveling kit or 2.5" budget boost. both are cheap and will get the job done
Sounds like you're the man to talk to

I've heard complaints about an ARB bumper + winch (like I'm installing this weekend) trashing factory coils.. I think that's the MAIN reason I'm looking at lifts.. I would be cool with just popping in a few spacers, but I think after adding a roof rack, rear bumper, etc.. I might be replacing my springs and shocks anyhow....

does that sound reasonable? or am I worried over nothing?

If I AM going to have to install new springs and shocks.. I'm mostly interested in ride quality... but if I can make room for 34 or 35 inch tires.. might as well do that at the same time.

I love trails.. and a little rock crawling is pretty cool.. but I'm not going to be taking the 'hard' way up the mountain simply to test my rig, and climb every boulder..... I'm more interested in the view from the top..... and getting there without my wife puking.

Any experience with adjustable shocks? are they worthless? or actually worth looking into?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:52 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepjackal
im looking to buy an 2011 2 door,,, i want to run 40's,,
wayoflife,, what would you suggest i get to accomplish this,,it will be a daily driver but i also do a lot of offroading as well here in the midwest,, i realize ill need dana 60's, 5:38 gears,,,but i have no clue on what lift to get,,,any advise will be helpful
wow, you aren't messing around are you?

for as much lift as you're going to need and as big of a tire you plan on running, i think you need to talk to off road evolution and get one of their long arm kits with coil overs. their kit is specifically designed to work with 60's and even come with high clearance rear control arm mounts that can only work with this setup. talk to mel and let him know that i sent you
Old 01-12-2011, 11:56 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by RayHoliO
Sounds like you're the man to talk to

I've heard complaints about an ARB bumper + winch (like I'm installing this weekend) trashing factory coils.. I think that's the MAIN reason I'm looking at lifts.. I would be cool with just popping in a few spacers, but I think after adding a roof rack, rear bumper, etc.. I might be replacing my springs and shocks anyhow....

does that sound reasonable? or am I worried over nothing?

If I AM going to have to install new springs and shocks.. I'm mostly interested in ride quality... but if I can make room for 34 or 35 inch tires.. might as well do that at the same time.

I love trails.. and a little rock crawling is pretty cool.. but I'm not going to be taking the 'hard' way up the mountain simply to test my rig, and climb every boulder..... I'm more interested in the view from the top..... and getting there without my wife puking.

Any experience with adjustable shocks? are they worthless? or actually worth looking into?
the extra weight will cause your coils to sag but, i wouldn't say that they'll necessarily trash your coils. installing a set of spacers is probably the cheapest and easiest solution to your problem but, if you're wanting to stay at a relatively stock height but be able to carry more weight, you might want to look into a set of factory height OME HD coils. as far as shocks go, i wouldn't say that adjustables are worthless, they're just a pain to use and more trouble than they're worth. i might recommend a set of factory rubicon shocks over them or, if you're looking for something nicer, a set of OME shocks.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Right on man.. I sure appriciate your help.. You help a lot of people on here.. takes a rare person to put aside that much time for others.. it's often thankless... So THANK YOU.

I've got a rubi, so I'm already on them there rubi shocks.. probably wouldn't see much of a difference with performance in an EMU shock, right?

My plan is to install the bumper, and see how it sits.. I'll likely end up putting in some EMU HD OEM height springs and at least a front spacer...

Do you see anything wrong with only replacing the front springs until I get my back bumper?
Old 01-13-2011, 12:45 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by RayHoliO
Right on man.. I sure appriciate your help.. You help a lot of people on here.. takes a rare person to put aside that much time for others.. it's often thankless... So THANK YOU.
LOL!! thank you, i really do appreciate it.

I've got a rubi, so I'm already on them there rubi shocks.. probably wouldn't see much of a difference with performance in an EMU shock, right?

My plan is to install the bumper, and see how it sits.. I'll likely end up putting in some EMU HD OEM height springs and at least a front spacer...

Do you see anything wrong with only replacing the front springs until I get my back bumper?
the OME shocks will offer a softer ride than the rubi shocks which tend to feel firm by comparison. as far as your plan goes, i think your approach is a good one. take small steps and address what you need when you need. if your front end needs help, address it then and the same goes for the rear.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
because on a 2-door, the rear drive shaft is really short and at 3" of lift or more, it will sit at a much steeper angle. this will put the CV boots in a constant state of pinch and, over time, this will cause the boots to fail. once this happens, there will be nothing to keep the grease inside and subsequently, the bearings inside will fail. the answer to this problem is to install a double cardin u-joint style shaft but, in order to do this, you would need to install a set of adjustable rear upper control arms.
not to sidetrack since I was aware of the short d/s issue for 2 doors, but I did not know that rear upper ca's were needed when you replace with a double cardin u joint shaft.
can someone enlighten me?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Anybody have problems with rear coil bind on a 2 dr with 4" lift? By the time I get the driveline at the right angle, the coils are really bound up.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:17 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiskyPirate
not to sidetrack since I was aware of the short d/s issue for 2 doors, but I did not know that rear upper ca's were needed when you replace with a double cardin u joint shaft.
can someone enlighten me?
Aftermarket shafts use different joints, and need different angles. With stock shafts, you want the pinion and the tcase output to be roughly parallel. With aftermarkets, the pinion needs to be pointed up at the tcase. ( go out to Tom Woods driveline, click on the tech info area up top, and look at Geometry 101, you will see some good pics and an explanation)

So, you need some way of 'tilting' the axle enough to get the pinion lined up...

Quick Reply: The best "daily driver" lift