Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

The best "daily driver" lift

Old 01-11-2011, 09:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put on a Rubicon Express Super Flex kit and hardly felt any difference in the handling. Then I put on the 35’s and bumper and it changed a little more with everything I changed. It is a daily driver and we still like the way it handles. The less you mod the easier it is to take care of.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OME HD with standard travel shocks is my wifes DD. there is a decent amout of clearance with 33s to the wheel well, maybe too much for some. maybe go MD with 33s if you like a tighter fit to the wheel wells. ride is firmer than stock, but not rough. very comfotable on long highway rides and potholes around town.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karben276
I am looking at putting on a 4.5 sa lift on my not yet arrived from the factory 4 door sahara. I have been told by several local off-roaders to go with a bds lift. I will spend 95% of my time on the road and want the ride to be as close to factory as possible. Is BDS a top choice? The only lift ive done in the past is a 4 inch pro comp lift and it was ok. Also, is there a huge difference between a 3 and 4.5 inch lift in regards to handling and steering? Let me know what you all think, thanks.
What size of tire do you want to end up with? Remember one companies 4" is another companies 2.5". TeraFlex has numerous kits for JK's. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really want to run 37's because I like the look of a big tire. I am willing to run 35's but prefer the 37's. One thing I don't want to run into is a sloppy ride on the road cause most of my driving will be on the road, with occasional trails. Am I more likely to have things break on a higher lift as compared to a lower lift? How do I know which brand to go with? I was reading manufacturers websites and they pretty much recommend going 12.50 with all their lifts. Can I run 13.50? what problems would I run into as a mostly srteet JK?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:03 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I really want to run 37's because I like the look of a big tire. I am willing to run 35's but prefer the 37's. One thing I don't want to run into is a sloppy ride on the road cause most of my driving will be on the road, with occasional trails. Am I more likely to have things break on a higher lift as compared to a lower lift? How do I know which brand to go with? I was reading manufacturers websites and they pretty much recommend going 12.50 with all their lifts. Can I run 13.50? what problems would I run into as a mostly srteet JK?
if you really want to run 37's and not have any issues, you really need to be prepared to spend some money. unless you are planning to do a fender chop or install flat fenders, you really need to install no less that 4" of lift or more. at that height, you really need to get a kit that comes complete with adjustable control arms, adjustable track bars, front track bar relocation bracket, dropped pitman arm or drag link flip kit and you'll need to think about getting new drive shafts as well. if you have a 2-door, you'll need the rear right away and if you have an auto, you'll need the front as well. most of the sponsoring manufacturers here have kits that will suit your needs well and sure, you can even run 13.50 wide tires. up until recently, we were running toyo mt 37x13.50's on our orange jk and without any problems. of course, we're even run 40x15.50's on our white jk without any problems but then, we have a long arm kit and coil overs. your ride and the ability to dial it in to your satisfaction is all encumbant on the budget you have to work with.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

Well, budget isn't really an issue, I just want it to be an appropriate lift for mostly road driving. You said you have run several lifts in the past, even as daily drivers. If you were me and could pretty much spend what you want (without going completely overboard) what would you do given that youve been down that route? I have a 4 door auto 2011 sahara.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:21 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Well, budget isn't really an issue, I just want it to be an appropriate lift for mostly road driving. You said you have run several lifts in the past, even as daily drivers. If you were me and could pretty much spend what you want (without going completely overboard) what would you do given that youve been down that route? I have a 4 door auto 2011 sahara.
if budget isn't an issue and without going overboard, i would definitely recommend getting a long arm kit like the kind full-traction or teraflex makes. both are true 4 link kits and that's what i prefer but, rock krawler makes a nice 3 link kit as well. contrary to what most people seem to think, the benefits of a long arm kit are best felt ON PAVEMENT. sure, a long arm kit costs more than a short arm kit or a set of brackets but really, you get a whole lot more for your money.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:27 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running a TeraFlex 4" Long Arm with 37's along with ELKA shocks and TeraFlex SpeedBumps as my daily driver. Handles and performs great on/off road. I have over 50,000 miles on the long arm kit now, less on the ELKA's and SpeedBumps.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

Hey WOL, what lift did u have on ur orange JK with the toyo's?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:08 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Hey WOL, what lift did u have on ur orange JK with the toyo's?
i was running a northridge4x4 OME LT kit with JKS control arms but now i'm running, elka shocks and TF speed bumps and 37" falken wildpeak at's

Quick Reply: The best "daily driver" lift