Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Cool Air intake

Old 05-17-2011, 12:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Cool Air intake

What are you recommendations for best cool air intake for JK?
Old 05-17-2011, 02:08 PM
JK Super Freak

I just installed the Airaid Cool Air Dam CAI from 4WD about a week ago and i love it so far...installed in about 45 min and just being a stock jeep V6 you aren't gonna get much out of it in terms of HP but I would say its alittle quicker while trying to pass. But I did noticed my MPG went up about 1.5...and it also sounds really nice too!!! Its hard to drive it nicely because you want to floor it everywhere just to hear it!!! it all depends on what you are looking for...hope this helps
Old 05-17-2011, 03:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ry2dsrt
What are you recommendations for best cool air intake for JK?
I have an Airaid CAI and really like it. I did a bunch of research and think I made the right decision. It has a little more power, slightly improved throttle response and a deep sound that is not cheesy. It installed without having to modify anything to get it to work; nice quality components.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:15 PM
JK Newbie

Howdy,
I installed the Banks cai 2 weeks ago. It was very easy and straightforward with no modification to the Jeep. It added about 2 mpg and added a little to the butt dyno. It really has a good sound to it. I am going to change the filter element to a dry one instead of the oiled type that it came with. I will also add the outerwear to it to help repel any water. I had that set up on my Z-71 Chevy and never had a water problem. The Banks is really quality and fit. Hope you are as pleased with your cai of your choice as I am with mine. Have a goodun!!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I did a lot fo research and shopping and nose-picking...Came to the conclusion of where you live-(rainy, dusty, snowy, or socal), type of offroading-(mudding, trails, or moab), and how serious you are-(other engine mods, mpgs or just power).

Pricing-
1. snorkels(Volant, RR, Aev)- most expensive
2. Volant- can add snorkel to intake later-kinda nice i guess...
3. Banks
4. Aev
5. aFe
6. Airaid and RR
7. etc...

I have seen most of them in person and they are all made the same but differently in way-
>look at the degree of angle the tube takes from box to throttle body(sharp turns or smooth 45s)
>how big the filter element is and dry or oiled
>is the filter kinda sealed in a box or is it in the open
>accessibility and fit

My opinon:
Banks is a nice unit, but costly and is halfway inclosed and halfway open

Volant is ok, but sharp bends in tube and costly-however you can add the snorkel tube later if you decide to

aev has a snorkel that goes to the stock box and is a pretty ok setup with an added drop in filter to improve flow

aFe has open and "sealed intakes"- prices are decent and bends are smooth and intake tube is a tiny bit bigger...However, the "sealed setup" is a filter inside of a round canister with opening in the side, front, and a couple in the bottom-& the top that comes off is not sealed down...not really a sealed unit, but adds a little bit of protection against moisture.

I went with aFe sealed unit, not impressed with the quality, but then again i wasnt with any of the intakes i saw at Truckfest and seen at events. I might ship it back and make my own as some have done or wait until Rugged Ridge comes out with their newest setup in a couple months...

take what ya want from it, but you'll be researching and deciding forever until you just order one, like me!
Old 05-17-2011, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for performance? don't waste your money

for sound? i hear the metal tubed intakes are louder.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

That reminds me... Metal intake tubes will be slightly louder, but tend to get hotter and we don't want that... Hence the reason for plastic intakes now!

Performance- not much but it does allow your engine to breathe easier as long as you upgrade the exhaust/muffler to flow out better....

Price is worth the couple ponies and a bit more torque in most of our opinions.

Word of caution- stay away from the whistling throttle body spacers. I didn't believe the other posts about annoying whistling, I just got of mine after 6 days!

Viper throttle body is on it's way!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:52 PM
JK Freak

Tried two, aFe & Volant. Neither is worth the price. Gains are non-existent, they are noisy. I ended up selling them both to others who convinced themselves they do something. Get yourself a drop in filter.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedy64vw
That reminds me... Metal intake tubes will be slightly louder, but tend to get hotter and we don't want that... Hence the reason for plastic intakes now!

Performance- not much but it does allow your engine to breathe easier as long as you upgrade the exhaust/muffler to flow out better....

Price is worth the couple ponies and a bit more torque in most of our opinions.

Word of caution- stay away from the whistling throttle body spacers. I didn't believe the other posts about annoying whistling, I just got of mine after 6 days!

Viper throttle body is on it's way!
lol you don't think the viper throttle body whistles?

plastic or metal, the temperature difference won't do jack.

Quick Reply: Best Cool Air intake