Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Control Arm Bracket? AEV or Rancho

Old 03-02-2016, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Control Arm Bracket? AEV or Rancho

I am trying to figure out which control arm bracket to buy. I am sure they will both be quality products as I've only heard good things from both. I'm curious though which will suit a RK 2.5 on a 2 door better. The aev version is adjustable, but the ranchos seem more solid. I've also seen different size specs for the Rancho. Are any of you guys running any of these combos? If so how is it?
Thanks for any feedback
Old 03-02-2016, 06:33 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Flip a coin. You might think about adjustable arms instead.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you want the brackets because of what you've read or do you need them because you hate the way the jeep handles. I ran a 2.5" for 2 years with stock control arms and no brackets. The jeep handled just fine. If you need them than either will do the job. I just don't want you getting them if you don't need them. I've seen a lot of that lately. Good luck
Old 03-02-2016, 07:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

went with the ranchos. looks to be a more sturdy design and at 2.5 / 3 inches lift they are suposed to but you right back at stock angles.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joe_B
Do you want the brackets because of what you've read or do you need them because you hate the way the jeep handles. I ran a 2.5" for 2 years with stock control arms and no brackets. The jeep handled just fine. If you need them than either will do the job. I just don't want you getting them if you don't need them. I've seen a lot of that lately. Good luck
I am not sure what would constitute "needing them". It's just not much money to ensure a smoother ride. Would I be better off lca's. I like that the bracket change lowers and uppers. Obviously not trying to waste money. Maybe I'll wait and check measurements after I install the lift.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shabbernigdo
went with the ranchos. looks to be a more sturdy design and at 2.5 / 3 inches lift they are suposed to but you right back at stock angles.
was there a noticeable change in handling after adding them?
Old 03-03-2016, 05:19 AM
JK Jedi

On my 2.5" rk lift I first ran the aev bracket but did not like how it hung down .. I switched to a set of tf fixed Lucas and seat of the pants was the same. I recently switched to tf alpine arms and dialed my caster to 4.8 and 5.2 and man does it feel good. The caster with aev arms were 4.5 on both sides and with the fixed arms 3.3 and 3.4
I guess depends if you are playing in the rocks or not. I do wheel with guys that have them with no issues but I like the lca's myself
Old 03-03-2016, 06:44 AM
BCP
JK Newbie

I did the Rancho. I bought my 13 Rubi with a 3" TF lift. Anything above 55mph was sketch. Installed the brackets in 2 hours. Night and day difference. Now that it's safe to drive I will be starting at the front and working my way back with better steering components.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jadmt
On my 2.5" rk lift I first ran the aev bracket but did not like how it hung down .. I switched to a set of tf fixed Lucas and seat of the pants was the same. I recently switched to tf alpine arms and dialed my caster to 4.8 and 5.2 and man does it feel good. The caster with aev arms were 4.5 on both sides and with the fixed arms 3.3 and 3.4 I guess depends if you are playing in the rocks or not. I do wheel with guys that have them with no issues but I like the lca's myself
Excluding the clearance issues, did the aev bracket seem to work well? I have considered control arms but was trying to save for a bit to take care of a couple others mods first. Would I need a shop alignment after installing lca's?
Old 03-03-2016, 06:55 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by tvan93
Excluding the clearance issues, did the aev bracket seem to work well? I have considered control arms but was trying to save for a bit to take care of a couple others mods first. Would I need a shop alignment after installing lca's?
sure they work well but ultimately you are not going save a ton of money. You are going to do like I did buy 2 different set ups and ultimately get what you want lol. you can get TF alpine arms from either 4wd.com or nr4x4 for probably under $25 with discount. No you don't need an alignment but it is nice to see where your caster actually. You can measure yourself with an angle finder but I have found that is not as accurate as an alignment as it is tough to have a 100% level surface. geo brackets do great but this what I dialed in with my alpine arms and man does it drive nice.

Quick Reply: Best Control Arm Bracket? AEV or Rancho